Author Topic: Baptism of William English McClure about 1823 Ballinderry Antrim  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Boo Book

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of William English McClure about 1823 Ballinderry Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 May 16 12:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to establish if there is a MClure Edmonds connection to USA around 1905.

Also, following the information from a now deceased relative, I am trying to establish where in Scotland the MClures came from before settling in Northern Ireland.

Michelle

Offline Irene Merle Norris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 July 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
hello
I am a descendent also of William English McClure who married Sarah Whitesides and they came out separately to Tasmania on the Champion of the Seas from Liverpool England. Their daughter Jane McClure married William Hayes in Tasmania.
I have also seen a scan of this letter which looks like it is from William to Sarah about coming to Australia.
I understand that they were connected to the Cubit family which I think are from County Antrim.
Any further assistance on this would be appreciated.

I visited this area in 1989 and visited a family in Randallstown but they didn't think I was connected to that particular line of the McClure family at that time.

irene

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 July 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
really for Michelle, The name McClure:- mav have Irish or Scottish ancestry. eg the name is identical with MacLir or McLur, the Sea God of Ireland or the Isle of Man.  I found this in A short introduction to the McClure name in Ireland and Scotland is http://oursoutherncousins.com/mcclure.html mentions the source
https://archive.org/stream/mcclureskennedys00mccl/mcclureskennedys00mccl_djvu.txt
which appears to be an edition of
The McClures, the Kennedys, the Tennants, the Gays by McClure, Mabel B. (Mabel Byron)1934  Topics McClure family, Tennant family. Publisher Enid, Okla. : Baer's Printery
Collection allen_county; Americana Digitizing sponsor Internet Archive
Contributor Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center

there are numerous other sources see
The oxford Names companion
https://clanmacleod.org/about/septs/ which describes them thus
MacCLURE(Also see McClure, MacLure, MacLur, MacAlear, MacLeur, MacLewer, MacClewer) A sept of MacLeod of Harris
GenesReunited earliest Scotland record is Margaret McClure b1635 AYR Ayrshire Scotland with treeowner ... Emily

Bill Macafee’ s amazing work below, includes many more sub data lists including muster rolls and protestant listings I think this chosen  item gives a fair representation of how many McClures existed in 1669 Co Antrim, but some might well be native irish.
The 1669  Hearth Money Rolls see http://www.billmacafee.com  reveal
column titles
Record No.   No. in Barony List   County   Barony   Parish   Townland (Modern Spelling)   Townland as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Forename as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname [Standardised]

I have reduced the larger spaces above by replacing with a full stop to reduce

10875.1068.Antrim.Toome Lower.Ahoghill.Gloonan.Glowan.Tho.Clure.McClure
10882.1075.Antrim.Toome Lower.Ahoghill.Lismurnaghan.Lisnemurgan.Tho.McClure.McClure
10923.1116.Antrim.Toome Lower.Ahoghill.Moyasset.Moyfett.Andrew.McCleur.McClure
16249.2642.Antrim.Belfast Lower.Ballynure.Straid.The Stread.?.McClure.McClure
10013.206.Antrim.Toome Upper.Drummaul.Ballygrooby.Ballygraby.John.McClour.McClure
10068.261.Antrim.Toome Upper.Drummaul.Randalstown.RandlesTowne. Wm.McClew .McClure
10142.335.Antrim.ToomeUpper.Drummaul.Artresnahan.Artrasnan.John.McCloure.McClure
12231.990.Antrim.Antrim Upper.Kilbride.Loonburn.Lonnbourne.John.McClurr.McClure
16980.592.Antrim.Massereene Lower.Killead.Seacash.Secash.Widow.McClune.McClure
17007.619.Antrim.Massereene Lower.Killead.British.Brytes.Tho.McClure.McClure
17149.761.Antrim.Massereene Lower.Killead.Lisnataylor.Lisne Taylor.John.McChure .McClure
17167.779.Antrim.Massereene Lower.Killead.Tully.The Tully.James.McChure.McClure
8992.1527.Antrim.Dunluce Upper.Kilraghts.Lisboy.Licboy Qr.William.McClure.McClure
8993.1528.Antrim.Dunluce Upper.Kilraghts.Lisboy.Licboy Qr.Thos.McClure.McClure
11212.1405.Antrim.Toome Lower.Kirkinriola.Ballymena Estate.KinheltsEstate.ffergus McClare. McClure
11231.1424.Antrim.Toome Lower.Kirkinriola.Ballymena Estate.Kinhelta Estate.John. McClure.McClure
18008.1620.Antrim.Massereene  Upper.Magheragall.Ballynadolly.The SheapeWalkes.John McClure.McClure
18010.1622.Antrim.Massereene Upper.Magheragall.Ballynadolly.The SheapeWalkes.Andr. McClure.McClure
18011.1623.Antrim.Massereene Upper.Magheragall.Ballynadolly.The SheapeWalkes.James. McClure.McClure
12558.1317.Antrim.Antrim Lower.Racavan.Ballyligpatrick.Kilpatrick.John .McClour. McClure
12560.1319.Antrim.AntrimLower.Racavan.Ballyligpatrick.Kilpatrick.Andrew.McClour.
McClure
12778.1537.Antrim.Antrim Lower.Racavan.Racavan.Rocavan.Wm.McClour.McClure
16064.2457.Antrim.Belfast Lower.Raloo.Ballyvallagh.Ballyvadick.John.McClure.McClure
12550.1309.Antrim.Antrim Upper.Rashee.Carnlea.Carlee.James.McClour.McClure 

good luck in your family history quest
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide