Author Topic: Rosemarket  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Medici47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rosemarket
« on: Friday 04 December 15 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I wondered if anyone knows about a property in Rosemarket village from the late 1700s where a Richard Rees lived, my greatx4 grandfather lived.  It was called Horse Park and Richard was a tenant there.  His father was a Thomas Rees who also lived there before him.  The owner of the property was a Mrs Barlow.  Any information about the place or the Rees' welcome.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rosemarket
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 December 15 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi the only mention I can locate unless their were more than one Horse Park/s in Pembrokeshire is via the 1851 census HO107/2475/713/6 in Jeffreston, Narberth about 16 miles away from Rosemarket, hopefully someone will obtain info for you c 1700 Rosemarket Horse Park.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 December 15 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if this is connected - from The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser of 4th September 1857

GAME NOTICE. TAKE NOTICE, ALL PERSONS found Trespassing in pursuit of Game, or otherwise, on the several Farms of FOREST, RHYGIAN, and VOIDREGREGOG in the parish of Newport; CASTLEBYTHE. and HENNA, in the parish of Castlebvthe; FERNHILL, WEST- FIELDS, CRISPIN HALL, DERBY and HORSE PARK, in the parish of Haroldstone St. Issels, all in the county of Pembroke, will be prosecuted. Courtyralla, August 29, 1857. G. G. ROUS.

Haroldstone St. Issels appears to cover the area south of Merlins Bridge, Haverfordwest, towards freystrop, if not as far as Rosemarket - see the first large map on this page
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Prendergast/ParishMap

Offline Medici47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 December 15 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  I will look into them.  If anyone knows anything about Richard Rees born around 1760 I would be interested.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 December 15 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi again is Richard Rees the one shown as aged 75 occ Ship Wright with possibly wife Mary 80 and a John aged 15 in Rosemarket Village 1841?
Census ref HO107/1449/  21/5 / 5
Keyboard86

This one married a Mary Mathias 17th February 1784 Rosemarket

There is a burial of a Richd Rees 27th April 1843 St Mary, Haverfordwest abode Rosemarket aged 81

Offline Medici47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 December 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that excellent information.  Yes, that is the Richard Rees on the 1841 census that you mention.  Other sources suggest Richard married a Mary John, but I did not find any evidence for this.  This seems more likely.  I have baptism details of a Richard Rees for 28 February 1763 in St. Michael, Pembroke, father Thomas, but I am not sure if this is the same Richard.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 December 15 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, trying to locate any baptisms post 1784 for Rees children Father Richard Mother Mary, unable to locate at present any, but found this marriage & census :-

Richard Rees Full age occ Blacksmith Father Richard Rees occ Shipwright
Martha Morgan Full age Father Michael Morgan occ Farmer
15th April 1843 Rosemarket

1851 census

Richard Rees 47 occ Pensioner E India Company
Martha 32
William 7
Elizabeth 3
Michael 11 months
Residing Village Rose-Market
Census ref HO107/2476/634/10
So are you aware of any other children from c 1784?
Keyboard86

Offline Medici47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 December 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello. My research suggests besides Rebecca and Richard, there were 2 more brothers, James Rees b 1811, married Ann (maiden name unknown) on 1841 census Ref HO107 1449 21/5 5. On that census he is an agricultural labourer, later working as a sawyer in dockyard.  However birthplace put as Llanstadwell so?

Also a William Rees b1801 on 1841 census H0107 1449 21/6 6 living in Rosemarket with brother Richard and a Mary Williams. William is put as a tailor, but after that census he's been hard to trace.  Without baptism details of course, difficult to know for certain.  I have looked for baptisms but without success.  Contact with archives at Haverfordwest say that baptism records have not survived for the time Rebecca was born for Rosemarket around 1794.  The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth also say Bishops Transcripts prior to 1799 for the village have not survived.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 December 15 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, just wondering if William Rees and Richard have their ages "rounded down" as was the case in 1841 in most instances, so wondering if William is on two 1841 returns?

Wm Rees 37 occ Taylor Not born in county
Ann 35
Rosina 2
Martha Ann 0
Census ref HO107/956/ 12/30 / 11
They have Rosena/Martha b Somerset and a Henry b 1849 Monmouthshire in later returns
Think William possibly b St David's

Also how do you know their were two more brothers and Rebecca, if you/I cannot locate a baptism, and why are the supposed children b c 1801 ish where was Richard from 1784?
Keyboard86
PS who is/when was Rebecca born?