Author Topic: William Morgan Western Mail  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Morgan Western Mail
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »
The fact that William was a harpist means that he would need to have been in a position to be able to access a harp to play and a harpist to teach him.

Most of the families who contained harpists listed in the censuses were sons of Inn Keepers or Victualers or harpists actually staying in such premises, presumably being paid to play to entertain customers, so sons of Inn keepers would have access and opportunity to hear the harp and see it played and even be taught.

Another sort of family that whose children became harpists were those who could afford to pay for someone to teach them, so a family would have to be able to afford to do this. In the 1890's there were renowned harp teachers around who had pupils who competed at Eisteddfods, especially in the Caerphilly / Pontypridd area.

There were of course also famous gypsy families who handed down the tradition (such as Abram Wood and his descendants)

In 1881, your family (minus William Senior) are living at 62 Tramroad side. There is another harpist living at number 45.

William junior is aged 16, enumerated as Scholar and written above it - It also says "Student", It was unusual in 1881 for a lad of aged 16 to still be attending school, when he could have been working in the mines or iron works (which I believe were in the area where they lived).

What was he studying ? Music / To become a teacher ? / some other job that needed a higher level of education that most boys got to 12 before going into the mines / iron works etc.....

Could he have gone to America ? The iron works in the Glyntaff /  Treforest area closed in about 1876 and families from the area did emigrate to America to iron works out there.

Do you have any further info regarding William senior & Mary's marriage that might help (i.e where it took place, could they write, who were the witnesses?)
  :)

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 21:05 GMT (UK) »
All I know about William Snr was what my father told me thahewad William was a harpist
My grandfather was the 2nd son of Wiio and the mother was Mary Richards  the 1st so  Willi was born about 1973 in Merthyr but never found his birth or the marriage of William and Mary
Have 4 marriages of William and Mary but none has William as harpist maybe when he Married he had not taken up being a harpist.  Regards Eirwen

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 December 15 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Information update. William Snr. Born approx 1839/39. Merthyr Tydfil  William 1st son born approx 1863 Merthyr Tydfil. 2nd son  John (my grandfather) born 1868 Pontypridd Mary daughter named after mother Mary Richards born Pontypridd 1874 . As mentioned marriage of William and Mary Richards has not been found. Regards Eirwen.

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 December 15 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Following on with the replies supplied by Sam that William's father might have been a publican have checked the marriages of William Morgan and Mary Rchards and discovered in on of them that the father of one of the William Morgan' s was indeed a public . SO can anyone find a Thomas Morgan publican in the 1851 or 1861 census and inform me please if possible if there was a son named William where and when born and who else was living in the same address Asking a lot but hoping someone might oblige Regards. Eirwen

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 December 15 15:52 GMT (UK) »