Author Topic: Robert McCrone, Flesher d late 1839 or early 1840.  (Read 816 times)

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert McCrone, Flesher d late 1839 or early 1840.
« on: Saturday 05 December 15 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Tradition in my family is that Robert McCrone (3GGF) was killed when he fell asleep in a carriage and it went over a cliff. Horse found grazing at bottom of cliff.

He married Janet Black in Sorn on 14 March 1828.  He is not shown in the 1841 Census. The baptism record (Kirkconnel) of his daughter Robert reads "Robert, lawful daughter of the deceased Robert McCrone late flesher in Kirkconnel village by his wife Jannet Black, was born 28 October 1839 and Baptized 5th April 1840." So I know that he died prior to 05 April 1840 and after July 1839. 

I am trying to find any documentation of his death besides the baptism record.  I have searched the OPR for mortcloth records to no avail.  Would this sort of accident be reported in the newspapers?  If so, how can I possibly find a newspaper account of the death?  I also have absolutely no idea where he is buried.

Any help that any one could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McCrone, Flesher d late 1839 or early 1840.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Your information is correct as there is a full report in the Dumfries
Weekly News of 2ndOctober 1839. If you contact me through Roots I will send you a copy

Hannahville

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McCrone, Flesher d late 1839 or early 1840.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 December 15 03:30 GMT (UK) »
I wanted to thank Hannahville publicly for sending me a very nice copy of the Dumfries Weekly paper - it described in detail the circumstances of the death of Robert McCrone. 

Thank you VERY MUCH!