Author Topic: Richard Harry and Ann Lobb of St Kew  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Richard Harry and Ann Lobb of St Kew
« on: Saturday 05 December 15 06:29 GMT (UK) »
I am revisiting my search for Richard Harry and Ann Lobb who married St Kew ( by Banns) 1752.
I have carefully perused the Parish records available to me.
These are extremely difficult to read in places.
I cannot find any further record of them other than baptisms of likely family 1753 -1757.
Richard may have died C1758 which would be consistant with the birth of their last child.

? Children at St Kew

William 1753

Jane 1755

Catherine 1757

Based on evidence gleaned from the Will of Philippa ( Lynam ) Harry , I think Richard could be their son bC1733. If correct he was a major beneficiary of his mother's Will.

Philppa had Lynam family and then Harry family with William Harry. She outlived both John Lynam and William Harry. The marriages escape me.
I have a copy of Philippa's Will.

I am aware that there are other Richard Harry = Ann marriages which are likely another family.

I will be indebted to anyone who can assist me.

With thanks
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Harry and Ann Lobb of St Kew
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 December 15 04:56 GMT (UK) »
In case it assists to make a connection, can I offer the following speculative data for possible earlier generations :

William Lynam of Endellion b ??? d 1625 = 1592 Johana/Joan Seccombe of Trelill b ??? d 1646
Joan d/o John Seccombe.
Lived at Tregaveren Endellion.
Will 16 Dec 1625

They had 8 children
including  :

William Lynam d1666 = 1643  Brigetta Allee d1675

They had 5 children
including:

William Lynam 1649-1711 = 1679 Honora Dingle b1654 Lezant

They had 7 children
including:

John Lynam 1685-1716 = ??? Philppa Hicks 1682-1746
Will of John Lynam 1716.
Will of Philippa Harry 1746 displayed OPC St Kew site.

They had 4 children
John
William
Joan
Hannah

Following death of John Lynam 1716 , Philppa remarried William Harry b?1689 d1733.

They had 4 children

William 1717
Dorothy 1719
Matthew 1731 = Elizabeth Benallack       my direct line.
Richard 1733 unresolved

This is certainly a challenge.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Debbie Harry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lazarus, not sure if we have the same relative but my family has a few Richard Harry's.  Captain Richard "Dick" Harry was my GGG Grandfather born May 1804 married Agnes Lang in 1831 who died 4.11.1857 and Richard died 1.10.1890.  I live in Brisbane Australia.  I was wondering if you might be related
Interested in finding any history on Captain Richard "Dick" Harry from St. Ives, Cornwall and his family.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie
I am following up on your posting regarding Captain Richard "Dick" Harry.
Nothing jumps out at me first look but I would like to examine in more detail.
Was Richard a sea captain?
I note St Ives about 50 miles from St Kew but assume access by sea.
More recent generations of my Harrys lived at St Austellbut originated at St Kew.

I can see a baptism for Richard Harry 16 Sep 1804 at St Ives. His parents James and Caroline.
Also the marriage 5 Jan 1831 at St Ives but bride Annis Lang (sic). Is this them?

Witnesses were Williams.

Where did they die as burials not yet found ?
More details please.

My first in Australia John Hammer Harry arrived Victoria mid 1800s perhaps via Adelaide.

I live in Gisborne Victoria

Rex

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lazarus

You may have this record but there is a burial St Kew 4 Apr 1758 of a Richard Harry https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J8XV-9TY no age given on this record though (Cornwall OPC has the same record transcribed from BTs)

Also on Cornwall OPC there is a Richard Harry burial St Kew 26 April 1758 and a note saying burial in woolen

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shirl
Unless mistaken , I think the Richard Harry who FamilySearch indicate was buried 4 Apri 1758 , was the husband of Ann Lobb and s/o William Harry and Philippa ( Lynam) .
I would like to think that is so but having difficulty confirming it because of great difficulty in reading original records from St Kew.
It is likely this Richard was bC1733 and is the Richard who is the main beneficiary of the Will/Admin 1747 of Philippa ( Hickes) (Lynam ) Harry.
I really need evidence of a baptism C1733.
Other children of William Harry and Philippa include my direct line through Matthew Harry b1731 St Kew. However two other siblings William and Dorothy appear to have been born 1717 and 1719 respectively. A big gap but otherwise fits.

Are you able to view the original records?
Your help appreciated.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 March 16 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I don't have access to the originals but maybe contacting the St Kew parish clerk at Cornwall OPC http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/h_k/kew_st.php might be an option?

There is also a burial on that site for a Pilippa (name as transcribed) Harry 31 May 1765 St Kew also stating buried in woolen - could she be another daughter of Richard and Ann ? Can't see a baptism for her though. There is at least one more Harry buried in Woolen in St Kew Dorothy in 1749 is there a link there between her, Phillipa and Richard? Phillipa senior (married to William) was also buried in woolen but it's possible many more were and it may not have been noted in the burial register itself. Just looking for clues!!!

Shirl
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Whitehead - Yorkshire

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 16 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Shirl
I have contacted OPC st Kew. Very helpful but unfortunately could not help resolve my queries.I can confirm that the Dorothy Harry 1719-1749 St Kew is "mine" and a daughter of William and Philippa.
There are two entries for her under burials. I have established that one of these is taken from an Account of Affidavits apparently required in relation to burials in wool.
I am able to download an image of the original if you could PM your email address..

A copy of the Will of Philippa Harry 7 Feb 1746 is available and can be downloaded from the OPC St Kew site.I suggest this reveals two marriages and you will note son Richard is principal beneficiary.
It doesn't help identify him.

At present I cannot identify the Philippa Harry  buried 1765.

With thanks

For the moment

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 March 16 18:09 GMT (UK) »

At present I cannot identify the Philippa Harry  buried 1765.

With thanks

For the moment

Tempting to think that she was the daughter of Richard and Ann especially if Richard was the son of Phillipa and William. As you say from the will of Phillipa in 1746 there was a son Richard so it's a good possibility.

All the best

Shirl
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Whitehead - Yorkshire