Author Topic: Ridgmont War Memorial  (Read 667 times)

Offline lesleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ridgmont War Memorial
« on: Saturday 05 December 15 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help please? I am researching the men on Chesham, Bucks WM on which is listed an A W Garner. The only one on CWGC etc is Arthur William, 2nd Bn Ox & Bucks, d 16 May 1915, b Ridgmont & commemorated on their  WM. My problem is - I have found no other but cannot find a link for this man with Chesham. No documentary evidence, no obit in local paper. He was in Ridgmont in 1901, a cowman on a farm, but in the military in 1911, en route for India with 1st Bn Ox & Bucks so I am assuming if he came to Chesham, say for work, it would be between these dates. A Chesham casualty was also on board in 1911 but that may be a co-incidence. Would anyone be willing to look for an obit for me? Any other ideas? Many thanks.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgmont War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 December 15 21:37 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth looking at his wider family for the Chesham connection.

I have a great-grand-uncle who is on the war memorial of the town where his parents had moved to between him signing up in 1914 and dying in 1918, he's not on the memorial in the town where he was born or living when he signed up and where he would have been known.

Another person I've researched is on a village memorial it appears because that's where his Aunt lived and he'd spent some time living with her family prior to going to war.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas