Author Topic: Davies of Abergwyngregin  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davies of Abergwyngregin
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 14:04 GMT (UK) »
You may get some more information about Blacksmiths in Mochdre, Dwygyfylchi and Abergywngregyn from the old Trade/Commercial Directories but I'm not sure how early these started to be printed. They keep them in the archives and there are some in Llandudno library, plus Colwyn Bay library for Denbighshire.

I know the Mountain View Hotel as I had relatives who lived In Mochdre for years but they left there in the 1980s. I did wonder if that was the new name for The White Horse Inn. It is quite a small world in Mochdre!  :)

Jo.

Offline Sammy612008

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Jo
Thankyou for the information. The White Horse Inn was my wife,s family throughout the nineteenth century.
I have found something new on the Blacksmith of Mochdre by the way  ;)
In 1802 the Smithy was run by a Thomas Williams.  In 1811 our William and Mary Davies had their first son William born Mochdre.
So we can now pinpoint their journey from Dwygylfylchi to Mochdre between the two dates ( more likely towards the 1811 end.
I suppose i am still trying to find a good reason why they left for Mochdre. Word of mouth would no doubt have given William and Mary the oppurtunity i guess.
I was brought up in Mochdre and remember the days of Ian Davies (no connection) at the Mountain View and the introduction of scampi and chips in the basket. 😊Good old days.
Regards  :-*

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 December 15 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Thomas Williams could have been related to Mary, William's wife. There is a possible baptism for her in 1794, Mary Williams, daughter of William Williams and Catherine.

What were the names of the children of William Davies and Mary?

The NLW site has an article from The Weekly News dated 1901 which states the License of The White Horse, Mochdre, was transferred from Mrs Davies to Mr Hugh Evans, late of the Fairy Glen Hotel, Penmaenmawr. I thought the Fairy Glen was in Dwygyfylchi.

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3617223/3617231/44/mochdre

Jo.

Offline Sammy612008

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
Jo
Many thanks for your time on the records. I drove up Sychnant on Thursday and was surprised how Mochdre and the Flagstaff dominated the horizon. Having looked also on the IGI records i found  Mary and William Davies married 1814 living in Abergwyngregyn. This may or may not be. What is recorded are the sons who were all born in Mochdre, Llandrillo yn Rhos the first one in 1818. So we know he took up residence around this time.
Just moving on i am listing the families of Mochdre across all census 1841 - 1901 so please feel free to contact me should you need research in and on the village.
Please keep my enquiry on the back burner so to speak and once again many thanks for your attention.
Regards
PS William Davies died 1873 aged 80 so birth year 1793

Offline larkinstown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 March 19 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, ive just come across these posts, and as ive been to the archive today, researching a Robert Davies, my ggg grandfather i thought id share some info i gleaned.
The following info from the original parish registers
William Davies (Blacksmith) and Mary Davies had the following children
Register says 'mochtre' as the residence for all births
David B 12/11/1815
John B 5/7/1818
Jane B 11/5/1820
Robert B 5/10/1821
Jane B 22/2/1824

no further births before or after in the llandrillo yn rhos register, also couldnt find a marriage, so as you say above they were from elsewhere

my robert b 1821, had a daughter called grace who married a daniel lloyd, they lived at felin (mill) in mochdre in the late 1800's, had 11 kids!
My mother a desendent was born at werndale, mochdre in 1936