Author Topic: Margaret Carrigy possibly from Garriskill, Street who emigrated to New York  (Read 2480 times)

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm looking to close the loop on a Margaret Carrigy from Westmeath - possibly Garriskill, Street who lived in New York for at least 1908 - 1920.

Margaret is listed as the contact and Aunt for Katie Carrigy who arrived in NYC on June 6th 1908.  I found two addresses for Margaret Carrigy -- 447 West 59th st., a hospital where she is also listed at during the 1910 and 1920 census,  and 383 Ave A which is also the address of a Thomas Carrigy.

Margaret had a brother Thomas who did emigrate to NYC and this is likely who lived at 383 Ave A.  Katie's father and Thomas' brother is Peter.

Thomas & Peter's parents are Bernard Carrigy and Bridget Mulberry from Garriskill, Street, Westmeath.

What I'm looking to find out is:

- Is the Aunt Margaret that received Katie [Katie married in 1918 as Catherine Anderson, died in 1918 also] a sister of Thomas and Peter.  Or was she Thomas' wife and Katie's Aunt by marriage.

- If it is Thomas's sister, did she marry.

- When exactly did Margaret emigrate to New York.  Records indicate that it was in the 1860's at 2 years old.  But I can't figure out who would have brought her.

- When did Margaret die and where is she buried - I can't find anything on this.

- If this Margaret is not Thomas's wife, who did Thomas marry.  Thomas died in 1918 and was married.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Carrigy possibly from Garriskill, Street who emigrated to New York
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 December 15 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Old thread...  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736235.0&PageSpeed=noscript

with plenty of information given which might save others wasting time and internet usage finding what has already been found.

The RC registers are online and probably already mentioned on that other thread..  registers.nli.ie

just a matter of looking through them for stuff in Ireland.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 December 15 19:47 GMT (UK) »
hi hallmark - I'm also the originator of the other thread you reference.  While Margaret Carrigy is referenced in that thread, it was designed for and addressed related topics and unfortunately we have not yet found all of the related information on Margaret -- who plays a significant role in this broader story -- needed to close the loop.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 December 15 20:38 GMT (UK) »
It's always a good idea to post links to related threads, you have explained very well (not every one does) but it's easy to miss something someone may ask about or can't quite remember so a link is handy.

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 December 15 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann - this makes sense, thanks for the note. And here is the link to the related topic/thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736235.18

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 December 15 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Thomas & Peter's parents are Bernard Carrigy and Bridget Mulberry from Garriskill, Street, Westmeath.

What you are looking to find out is:

- Is the Aunt Margaret that received Katie [Katie married in 1918 as Catherine Anderson, died in 1918 also] a sister of Thomas and Peter.  Or was she Thomas' wife and Katie's Aunt by marriage...

-------------

So are they not in Irish RC Church Registers??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 December 15 10:17 GMT (UK) »
It looks to me that Bernard CARRIGY(and variations) and Brigid MULDERRY(and variations)
had at least seven children including a Margaret

Baptisms
Sep 02 1838; Maria
Apr 03 1843; John
Jan 16 1846; Brigid (Twin)
Jan 16 1846; Elizabeth (Twin)
Mar 28 1848; Peter
Jan 15 1854; Margaret
Mar 18 1857; Thomas

If you have not looked at all the children (and there are gaps so consider more)
it is also possible e.g. that John CARRIGY was married to a Margaret in NY

I would rule out the Margaret CARRIGY aged 2 who arrived in the USA on Aug 15 1853
She was travelling with adults, most likely her parents, John aged 27 and Ann aged 22
if you look at the previous page of the ship manifesto
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline splask

• RootsChat Extra
  • -- one big family --
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 December 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
hi myluck,

I indeed have the children of Bernard and Bridget, a couple of additions to your list include:

Patrick CARRIGY b.1840 d.1874
(potentially) Catherine CARRIGY b.1849

I know that Bernard & Bridget's son John CARRIGY b.1943 did not emigrate as he inherited and ran the Garsikill farm.

I also know that -- according to the 1910 US census (assuming accuracy) -- the Margaret CARRIGY that I'm trying to place in my tree emigrated to the USA in 1864 and was 58 in 1910.  And I'm sure that this Margaret CARRIGY is the one that was the Katie CARRIGY's contact when she emigrated in 1908.  This is based on the 59th st address reference used as the emigration contact and the 1910 census.

This does lead to Margaret CARRIGY likely being a brother of Katie's father - Peter CARRIGY and daughter of Bernard CARRIGY & Bridget MULDARRY.  However, I can't find the emigration record for Margaret CARRIGY arriving in the US as I agree that she is not likely the Margaret that arrived at 2 years old unless she traveled with a different family.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 December 15 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Could this death in Ireland be her?  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FTPN-FM6

It looks like Margaret sailed to Ireland and returned to NY in 1902.