Author Topic: John Paterson  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Allan007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Paterson
« on: Monday 07 December 15 07:08 GMT (UK) »
I am really interested in anyone that is linked to a John Paterson, I would summarize as living in North Leith Midlothium Edinburgh in 20/04/1770 he was a witness to the birth of my direct line James Allan born on 20/04/1770 and other children of Robert Allan.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Paterson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 00:08 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already done so, a good way to make surname connections with other members is to enter your surname interests in the Surname Interests Table (SIT), and to check there whether others are researching these names. 

This can be found at http://surname.rootschat.com/ , there is a link to it under "Your Tools" at the bottom of each Rootschat page.

The more people who enter their surnames, the more chance there will be of making a connection!

In the meantime, I will move this to the Midlothian board. :)
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Allan007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Ty as I am only new here but starting to understand :)

I received a reply on my Ancestry tree and this is what was posted. I presume you are referring to the John Paterson who along with Peter Smith were witnesses at the baptism of James Allan on 20/4/1770 born 13th. Robert Allan the father was a Sailor.

Looking at a PO Directory nearest to that time there was a John Patterson at Dub Row Leith. Two deaths of a shipmaster in Leith 19/8/1774 and 15/11/1792 and that of a Carter on 2/9/1774 all named John Paterson. So if anyone has a link to John Paterson or any further information please let me know. Ty  :)

Offline torilar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 11:42 GMT (UK) »
North Leith registration district also includes Newhaven...there were a fair few Patersons from there too.
Hackland.....Orkney/ Leith/ Worldwide
Watt.....Aberdeenshire
Mc/Mac Donnell.....Inverness-shire
Crawford.......Douglas Lanarkshire/Newhaven Edinburgh
Keith......Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire/Perthshire/
Clingan.....Midlothian/

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 16 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I am researching a John paterson on behalf of a friend.  Don't know if it's the same one. My John paterson was married to Jane kerr and thry had a son called John who was born 1823 south leith.  I don't know whenjJohn paterson senior was born.