Author Topic: Maggie Ann Kellie (Margaret) Kelly/McGillivray  (Read 2330 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Ann Kellie (Margaret) Kelly/McGillivray
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 17:41 GMT (UK) »
but I can find a marriage record for Catherine McGillivray to George Ironside in Forres on 14 March 1890. On this certificate she states that she is a spinster.

Not sure if this is connected but Libindx has Catherine Greystone(nee McGillivray) / George Greystone
marriage 14th March 1890 High Street , Forres.

ev

This is just getting weird.
Catherine McGillivray married George Ironside on 14 March 1890 at 328 High Street, Forres.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed this is on the Stirlingshire board - should it be on the Morayshire board?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 18:56 GMT (UK) »
My post was asking if anyone could find out anything about this William Kelly, as I can't find his name appearing on either the 1881 or 1891 census returns.

I think you may need to search a wider scope with the name William Kelly as Policemen moved around & may only have been in the area a short time & probably posted elsewhere or maybe asked for a transfer knowing he was going to be a father & didn't want the responsibility?

Maggie Ann's sibling was your direct relative.....what was the yr of birth & who was named as the father on that birth?
------------------------------
Carole......

Maggie Ann was probably stating her father to be who her mother told her (whether true or not)

At age 21 when getting married she was probably told her father had died (maybe a cover-up) by her mother & maybe even a made-up name?

My g g/mother (illegitimate) aged 22 yrs on marriage used her father's surname, gave her father's name & mother with (m/s) although they were never married (both alive when she married) & carried her father's surname throughout her life as her maiden name on all her kids births (11 in total).

It's an interesting thread!!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Highland Archives in Inverness should have the Northern Constabulary archives. Could be worth contacting them to see if there is a William Kelly around the right time. They may charge for that sort of research.  A lot depends on whether the Margaret's marriage registration is the only source for the William Kelly name - if it is, treat with some caution.

Another thought, was Margaret's mother always in the Daviot area? Might she have been in service elsewhere at the time of conception? A difficult question to answer I know.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 12:10 GMT (UK) »
My post was asking if anyone could find out anything about this William Kelly, as I can't find his name appearing on either the 1881 or 1891 census returns.

I think you may need to search a wider scope with the name William Kelly as Policemen moved around & may only have been in the area a short time & probably posted elsewhere or maybe asked for a transfer knowing he was going to be a father & didn't want the responsibility?

Maggie Ann's sibling was your direct relative.....what was the yr of birth & who was named as the father on that birth?
------------------------------
Carole......

Maggie Ann was probably stating her father to be who her mother told her (whether true or not)

At age 21 when getting married she was probably told her father had died (maybe a cover-up) by her mother & maybe even a made-up name?

My g g/mother (illegitimate) aged 22 yrs on marriage used her father's surname, gave her father's name & mother with (m/s) although they were never married (both alive when she married) & carried her father's surname throughout her life as her maiden name on all her kids births (11 in total).

It's an interesting thread!!

Annie

You think it's an interesting thread - well wait until I add my grandfather (Maggie Ann's brother) into the mix.......
He was born on 19 February 1875 in the village of Dores, the illegitimate son of Christine McGillivray (Catherine has now lied about her christian name). The child was named James Fraser McGillivray.

James was brought up by his grandmother, Marjory Grant / McPherson (Catherine's mother) in Elrig, Daviot, and can be found there on the census returns of 1881 and 1891. On these returns he is called James Fraser.

In 1901, James Fraser marries my grandmother. On his marriage certificate, he states that his parents are James Fraser, shepherd and Catherine McGillivray Fraser, ms Fraser.

In 1933, James Fraser dies, but it states on his death certificate that his name is James McGillivray Fraser, the son of James Fraser, shepherd, deceased, and Catherine McGillivray Fraser, ms Fraser.

So from being born James Fraser McGillivray, he changes his name to James McGillivray Fraser.

According to Scottish naming patterns, my grandparents name their first son, John and their second daughter Marjory (presumably after his grandmother, Marjory Grant, who brought him up)

Where did his mother, Catherine McGillivray vanish to? and did she only have the two illegitimate children? James in 1875 and Maggie Ann in 1884.

Should my mother and her siblings have been named McGillivray and not Fraser?

So many questions to answer  ::)  ::)  ::)
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
but I can find a marriage record for Catherine McGillivray to George Ironside in Forres on 14 March 1890. On this certificate she states that she is a spinster.

Not sure if this is connected but Libindx has Catherine Greystone(nee McGillivray) / George Greystone
marriage 14th March 1890 High Street , Forres.

ev

I've just been searching through the Libindx database, as the marriage record you mentioned was totally confusing me.
On the marriage certificate I have, it states that Catherine McGillivray, age 26, residing at 7 Bridge Street Forres, married George Ironside, age 27, residing at Greystone, Parish of Ardclach, on 14 March 1890 at 328 High Street, Forres.

So the Greystone name comes from George's residence, not his surname, so the database has it wrong.

I contacted the council, advising them about the wrong information, and have just had a reply thanking me for pointing out the errors, agreeing that this would have confused any future researchers.