Author Topic: A very very long shot  (Read 2061 times)

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
A very very long shot
« on: Wednesday 09 December 15 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have not been on here now for a couple of years as i became stuck on the whereabouts of a ancestor of mine......but today i read a article stating the obvious.....i will explain....

Edward Holmes convict, transported from Norwich via Portsmouth to Tasmania served his time and got a free ticket, after many years of searching we could not find any trace of him in Tasmania after his release but someone said ...Maybe he did get home.....it did happen sometimes...so if anybody can do a check on the 1851 census countrywide for the following it may close this case once and for all.

The details of occupation, age, and previous which may show on the census as follows...

Edward Holmes   age  (in 1851) 59, born Norwich,Norfolk  Occupation, Weaver,

as mention before he was a convict who just may have made it home as we know he sailed on the Montauk ( in Steerage) from Sidney to Hong Kong Oct 13th - Nov 14th 1848, this is the last we found of him, but a few years later the family in Norwich visited Hull in Yorkshire to see relatives which no one seems to know about......so maybe this is a lead...this is a last ditch attempt to find out once and for all whether he did get home...
 Many thanks in advance
       Gordon
ps we have all his Conviction / Transportation details etc
Holmes, Meachen, Moore, Barber, Stowers, Jex, Papps, Sutton, Wiseman, all Norwich & Norfolk

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A very very long shot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 15 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Also a long shot! Whilst having a look round I found an Edward Holmes burial in Hong Kong in 1870 (born about 1853) - is it possible your Edward might have stayed in Hong Kong and had children there?

Shirl

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=92790576
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 15 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Also a long shot! Whilst having a look round I found an Edward Holmes burial in Hong Kong in 1870 (born about 1853) - is it possible your Edward might have stayed in Hong Kong and had children there?

He was 27 when he died, so was born about 1843, before the other Edward left Tasmania.

Was the original Edward born in Norwich?

What evidence to you have that the Edward Holmes who went to HK was your Edward? It's a common name.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 15 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry you are correct with his estimated birth year, a red herring completely!
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 December 15 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Firstly thanks for you help, to be honest i did not expect any reply at all. yes Edward was born in Norwich and yes i am 100 % that was our Edward on the Passenger list for Hong Kong, somewhere on the internet i found the connection between my Edward and the Edward on the Montauk.....now i cannot find it, but at the time it was 100%, that is why i am looking Hong Kong / UK....anyway thank you very much for your help ...2 or 3 pairs of eyes are better than one ...in the mean time i will find that info which made the connection.....
Regards Gordon.
Holmes, Meachen, Moore, Barber, Stowers, Jex, Papps, Sutton, Wiseman, all Norwich & Norfolk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 December 15 10:11 GMT (UK) »
ref: ancestry.com
Ship Montauk, left Hobart Tasmania 21 September 1848 arrived Port Jackson NSW on 29 September 1848.
Passenger in steerage is Edward Holmes

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 December 15 18:47 GMT (UK) »
There are a lot of online trees with Edward Holmes on, some of which assume he died in Tasmania; but most of which assume he is the Edward Holmes who went to Hong Kong (partly, presumably, because he got his ticket of leave only a few weeks before the sailing date).

This won't help you with finding his death (unless he sought a pension) but none of the online trees mention his army career, so I don't know whether you know about it. This entry looks too much of a coincidence. If it is him he was fighting in Canada in 1811 (before returning to marry in 1815). You may find details of his service career in Findmypast - I haven't checked.

Richard

(It's not letting me attach it at the moment. I'll try later but it describes an Edward Holmes, b 1793, a weaver from Norwich. You can find it on Ancestry.)
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 15 20:38 GMT (UK) »
rjknott....thanks very much for your help...families...dont you just love them  :D

regards gordon