Author Topic: Graveyard/headstone for Alexander and Isabella (Bella) Turner in Hamilton?  (Read 5654 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyard/headstone for Alexander and Isabella (Bella) Turner in Hamilton?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 April 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
So the authority that owns and manages Bent Cemetery, and maintains the records of who is buried there, cannot find a burial of Alexander Turner and Isabella Moffat. The logical conclusion is that they must be buried somewhere else.

Why do you think they were buried in Bent Cemetery? What is your evidence that Alexander Jr was born in 1909? Could this Alexander in fact be James Alexander Nevin, born in 1905? Did you ask the South Lanarkshire Council folk if they could find Alexander Nevin? 

You really need to bite the bullet and get some certificates from SP. In particular

- birth of James Alexander Nevin or Turner in Glasgow in 1905. This will tell you whether or not you are looking at the right couple.

- death of Isabella Moffat or Turner in Govan in 1936. This will tell you the full names of both her parents, including her mother's maiden surname. It will also tell you whether or not she was widowed, which will help you to find the death certificate of Alexander, assuming of course that he died in Scotland.

Why do you think it was Bella Moffat's husband, whatever his name was, who became a master in the Merchant Navy? Have you looked for him in the Lloyds shipping registers? Who told you that he was Scottish?

AHA! I have just found a record of Alexander Turner in the British Merchant Seamen records on FindMyPast. Born 29 August 1880 in Garvagh, Ireland; next of kin, wife, Bella Turner, 70 Ann Street, Greenock. Not quite sure what his rating is - it looks like D keyman. A donkeyman operates a donkey engine, which is a small auxiliary engine. This looks much more plausible as an occupation for someone who was unable to sign his own name on his marriage certificate.

However there is another Alexander Turner, also D keyman, born in Edinburgh on 18 June 1880, who bears a passing resemblance to Bella's husband but has a different ID number.

I cannot find matching births of either of these Alexanders as either Turner or Niven in Scotland or Ireland, however. There is one in Edinburgh in 1880, but he was not born on either 18 June or 29 August.

There is a 20-year-old Alexander Nevin in Glasgow Dennistoun in the 1901 census. This is an exact match for both seamen born in 1880 (if they are indeed two different people). The original census can be viewed at SP and should tell you where this Alexander Nevin was born.

I've attached the photographs of the two merchant seamen. Do you think they are the same man?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 22 April 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
www.twinsornot.net gives 100% match. Whether it can be believed of

course is another matter ;) ;D

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 22 April 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
I don't think the 2 photos are of the same man. I'm not sure if I've seen that photo before or he resembles someone I've seen a picture of  :-\

There is a 20-year-old Alexander Nevin in Glasgow Dennistoun in the 1901 census.
Also in the same household is a Thomas Logan born Ireland. Tried to find his birth to see where he was born but can't find him yet.

Just to keep in mind for now AFTER those SP certificates are checked-
There were Logans and Nevins living in the same area (Ringsend/Macosquin).
The birthplace Garvagh points to a connection with Turners of Ballynameen (Alexander & Thomas both common in that family)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 April 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
There's a WW1 Medal Card for an Alexander Turner, born Garvagh 1882, who was a seaman:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8107461

The British Merchant Seaman record that Forfarian listed for an Alexander Turner with wife Bella Turner, when viewed mentioned he had a WW1 medal.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 May 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your very helpful replies and many questions. 
Alexander Turner was definitely Scottish and according to my uncle was not related to the Turners of Garvagh.  I have also managed to track down a photograph of Alexander Turner, Isabella Turner nee Moffatt and their son - unfortunately when I try to attach it I get an error message saying that the Photograph is too large!
Brown1777

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
Alexander Turner was definitely Scottish and according to my uncle was not related to the Turners of Garvagh.  I have also managed to track down a photograph of Alexander Turner, Isabella Turner nee Moffatt and their son - unfortunately when I try to attach it I get an error message saying that the Photograph is too large!

Why does the family think Alexander Turner was 'definitely Scottish'? The accent around Garvagh/Ringsend is very similar/often mistaken for that of Ayrshire.
How does your uncle know that Alexander Turner wasn't related to the Turners of Garvagh? If that they didn't know about his surname being Nevin on the marriage certificate then there's quite a lot they didn't know or wasn't talked about.

What about the Scottish certificates that were mentioned earlier? what additional details do they provide?

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey

Thank you.  My uncle was born in Ringsend, County Londonderry and lived most of his life there.  I think he knows the accents.  His aunt was married to Alexander and he met him on a number of occasions.  Yes, I accept that he did not know about Alexander's name being Nevin, but as he was Scottish, it is hardly surprising. Probably not something that was discussed over a meal.  My uncle also knows the Turners of Garvagh, we are also related to them. Interestingly, a cousin in Australia had the name recorded and I am corresponding with him to see if he can throw any light on Alexander Turner, who he has stated was born in 1869. As I said previously I need to delve further. Brown1777

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
The SP index to the 1911 census has a Turner family in Belshill, Lanarkshire which might be a match - Alexander age 30; Bella age 28; James age 6.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 07:49 BST (UK) »
So, what details were on the certificates mentioned in reply #18?