Author Topic: Graveyard/headstone for Alexander and Isabella (Bella) Turner in Hamilton?  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyard/headstone for Alexander and Isabella (Bella) Turner in Hamilton?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey

Assumption again Brown1777

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 May 17 07:30 BST (UK) »
So, what details were on the certificates mentioned in reply #18?
The reason for looking at those certificates is to check facts (as on the documents) rather than assuming anything.

If Alexander Nevin/Turner was Scottish then he would be in 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 census records (and they should say place of birth which would help finding his birth certificate). As far as I can see on this thread a possible Alexander Nevin (born Ireland) was found in 1901 census and a very likely Alexander Turner (with Bella & James) in 1911 census. The 1911 census will give place of birth (if born in Ireland might list a more exact location).

Don't think you can discount the record found earlier-
AHA! I have just found a record of Alexander Turner in the British Merchant Seamen records on FindMyPast. Born 29 August 1880 in Garvagh, Ireland; next of kin, wife, Bella Turner, 70 Ann Street, Greenock. Not quite sure what his rating is - it looks like D keyman. A donkeyman operates a donkey engine, which is a small auxiliary engine. This looks much more plausible as an occupation for someone who was unable to sign his own name on his marriage certificate.

I can think of 2 other resources (not online) that might pin down the origins of Alexander Nevin/Turner if he was born in Ireland but no point in doing so until other resources have been checked.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 May 17 07:52 BST (UK) »
I have just viewed the 1911 census entry on Scotland's People (only cost 6 credits) and the following is shown-

28 Bothwell Park Rows, Belshill
Alexander Turner, 30, coal miner (hewer)- colliery, born Ireland Co.Derry
wife Bella Turner, 28, married 9 years, 1 child/1 living, born Ireland Co.Derry
son James Turner, 6, school, born Lanarkshire Glasgow

The above fits with the marriage of Alexander Nevin & Bella Moffat, the James Turner/Nevin found in Scottish records, etc. as well as the Merchant Seaman record giving his birthplace as Garvagh.

So, my 'assumption' that he was born here and moved to Scotland is not as unlikely as you think.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 May 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
Assumption again Brown1777

Aghadowey did not assume anything, merely urged you follow up a theory, which the evidence amply shows is correct, namely that Alexander Nevin or Turner was born in Ireland in 1880. You have three separate pieces of evidence to prove beyond any question that this theory is correct
- the 1911 census
- the merchant seamen records
- the medal card

and there are potentially other things you have been told about and could easily get, for example
- the 1901 census 
- the birth certificate of James Alexander Nevin
- the death certificate of Isabella Moffat

If anyone has been making assumptions, it is you. You have assumed that your family hearsay is accurate. Facts are chiels that winna ding. Your original posts contain six 'facts' that have been proved incorrect
- that Alexander was the son of Alexander Turner and Christina Binning (that Alexander died in 1904)
- that he was born in Hamilton (that was the 'wrong' Alexander Turner)
- that he was born in 1869 (you have evidence to show that he was born in 1880)
- that he became a captain (he was unable to sign his name, and he was a donkeyman)
- that he and his wife are buried in Bents Cemetery (the cemetery owners have no records of him there)
- that his son was born in 1909 (it appears that the son was born in 1905)

I would also point out that aghadowey has been kind enough to spend 6 credits (£1.50) to buy information that you had already been advised to get for yourself.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 May 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
I looked at the 1905 birth for James Alexander Nevin which confirms his parents as Alexander Nevin and Isabella Moffat and notes that they married in Ringsend, Ireland in 1902 as per previous posts. I have also found a notice from the Belfast News Dec 31st 1908 which mentions br Alexander Nevin in connection with ( orange) lodge in Springburn, Glasgow.
I am with other posters in believing that Alexander was Irish. I am not, however totally convinced that the 1911 census in Bellshill is them as it seems quite a departure in occupation for Alexander. Other details are a close match though.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 04 May 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
I've just been trying, yet again, to find the birth of Alexander Nevin or Turner, again without success, on both GRONI and irishgenealogy.

There is a family in Garvagh in the 1901 census consisting of Thomas Turner, 70; wife Nancy Turner, 65; son William Turner, 30; daughter Esther Turner, 28; son Thomas Turner, 26; daughter Jane Turner, 24. All born Co Derry. However I have failed to find any of their births on either site.

I have to go out now, but might try again later unless some other information comes to light in the interim.

Has Alexander's death certificate been found?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 04 May 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
SP has three deaths for an Alexander Turner that might be worth checking-
1946 in Springburn age 66
1965 in Greenock age 84
1969 in Greenock age 88
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 04 May 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
OP might have a better idea of when Alexander died (although I can't see a date mentioned when originally asking for headstone details and that's usually something that would be mentioned in such a request).
The census is only a brief glimpse of a person on a particular night and I wouldn't rule out the 1911 record on basis of occupation as Alexander was maybe just a coal miner for s short time trying to support his family.

From the 1902 marriage record it's more likely that Alexander's mother was Nevin and father was a Thomas Turner. A likely Thomas Turner is the one who  appears in 1901 census married to Nancy (Moody)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Garvagh/Ballynameen/1519712

Just as an aside- daughter Jane in census married 1906 to William Berryman-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1906/10142/5689995.pdf
Tragically, she & her husband were murdered by his brother (known locally as The Berryman Murders) in 1908, leaving an infant daughter.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05508/4543465.pdf
Perhaps OP's family in Scotland would have heard about this event?

Looks like her father Thomas Turner died in 1910-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1910/05439/4521331.pdf
Death (1908) for Ann Turner says she's a widow  (daughter Jane murdered 6 months earlier so an upsetting time for family which might explain that)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05481/4535113.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Have found a bit more information on Alexander Turner but will wait for OP (who has been online several times since 4 May) to acknowledge what's been posted so far before I add more.