Author Topic: Graveyard/headstone for Alexander and Isabella (Bella) Turner in Hamilton?  (Read 5633 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyard/headstone for Alexander and Isabella (Bella) Turner in Hamilton?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
I wasn't aware of the different surnames, but I bow to your supposition!

My apologies but you didn't say you didn't have the marriage i.e. I assumed you did from..

"Alexander Turner married Isabella (Bella) Moffat(t) on 29 July 1902 in Ringsend Presbyterian Church, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 April 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
I want to re-check a few things in my files but more than Alexander's name (and his father's name) don't add up.

Your information (from Scottish records perhaps?)-
Can anyone assist me to find graveyard/headstone details for Alexander and Isabella(Bella) Turner?  Alexander Turner was born 29 July 1869 in Hamilton - his parents Archibald (b.1832) and Christina Turner nee Binning (b.1848 d.1921). Alexander Turner married Isabella (Bella) Moffat(t) on 29 July 1902 in Ringsend Presbyterian Church, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. In 1881 they lived at 1 Brandon Street, Hamilton. They had one son Alexander in 1909.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

My feeling years ago when finding the Ringsend marriage was that the groom Alexander Nevin was perhaps local but had gone to Glasgow for work then returned to marry a local girl (this was not that uncommon in this area).

Added- Bella Moffat's parents were Robert Moffat & Sarah Carton (Cartan/Carten)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 April 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey

A couple of things to note - I am advised that Alexander Turner was definitely Scottish. Also in the Merchant Navy he became a "Master" in 1894.  Is this likely for someone who signed with his mark" at his marriage in 1902??   There are some things that do not add up! Brown1777

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 April 17 07:59 BST (UK) »
Is it possible for someone to do a "look up" in Bent Cemetery for me?  I am looking for a lair of Alexander Turner and his wife Isabella Turner nee Moffatt.
I see that greenrig gave you contact details for Bent Cemetery eighteen months ago. What was the outcome of your approach to them?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 April 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
Or, have you considered asking Rootschat members sancti and Rodeo if they can find Turner in Bent Cemetery records they have access to? Or, you can purchase certain years via https://www.parishchest.com/Lanarkshire_Burial_Records_Books___LID15332 .
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 April 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
In 1861, an unmarried Archibald Turner is boarding at a house in Union Street, Hamilton.

1871, he (aged 39), wife Christina (aged 23, so quite a bit younger than him), and their two young children, Robert aged 3yrs and Alexander aged 1yr are in Almada Street, Hamilton.

1881, as you have said, the family are at Brandon Street, Hamilton.

1891, the family, minus Alexander, are in Tuphall Road, Hamilton.

1901 still at Tuphall Road.

In all the above, Archibald is recorded as born Glasgow.

What actual records do you have that conclusively link 'your' Alexander Turner, who apparently married as surname 'Nevin' and with a father named 'Thomas Turner', to the above family group in Hamilton?

Where was Alexander jnr's (born 1909) birth and was his surname recorded as Turner or Nevin? What was recorded for his father's occupation. If born Scotland, is this where you got the marriage place and date details of his parents from?

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 April 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
Ok, an Alexander Turner died 21st February 1904, whilst trying to save the crew of the American Schooner Willie L Newton. His father, Archibald Turner of Tuphall Road, Hamilton, received a gold watch and chain, awarded by the President of America for gallantry at sea, on behalf of his late son. This was reported in a number of newspapers in September 1904.

Given the fact that apparently 'your' Alexander Turner had a son Alexander born in 1909, this would rule him out as being the Alexander, son of Archibald and Christina Turner, who lived in Hamilton and explain why things 'haven't been adding up'.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 April 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Brown1777, have you got the birth certificate of Alexander b 1909? If not, I think that is your first step, because it will tell you the date and place of the parents' marriage. If it says 1902 in Ringsend, then you are at least on the right track as far as the marriage.

Then you need to look in the 1911 census for Alexander, Bella and Alexander Jr to see where it says Alexander Sr was born, and also how old he was, as the marriage certificate only says 'full age'.

What else do you know about Alexander Jr? Where, when and whom did he marry, and when and where did he die? Have you got his marriage and death certificates?

I note with interest that a search on SP for Alexander Nevin, other surname Turner, mother's surname Moffat, produces a death in Greenock in 1989 of James Alexander Nevin or Turner, aged 83, and there is a birth of James Alexander Nevin in Glasgow Dennistoun in 1905.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 April 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
Forfarian/Scotsmum
Many thanks for your replies and very interesting details!  I received an e-mail from South Lanarkshire Bereavement Services advising me that they had found interred in the Bent Cemetery in Hamilton Newest division lair 3140 - Archibald Turner 11/12/1919 aged 87; Christina Turner 27/04/1921 aged 74; and Thomas Turner 05/03/1945 aged 73. They advised that they were unable to locate a grave/lair for Alexander and Isabella Turner, despite lair 3140 being a double lair with 3141, with no interments in the latter. I have no details about Alexander Turner Jnr born in 1909 and do not have a birth or death certificate for him. Isabella Turner is my great aunt.  Thank you for taking the time to respond. Brown1777