Author Topic: Cant find Mary Gavin living with a Mary Barrett in the townland of Ballygreaney  (Read 2902 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find Mary Gavin living with a Mary Barrett in the townland of Ballygreaney
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 13:16 GMT (UK) »
You have to take irish ages on the census with a pinch of salt, often they would give the wrong age, because I think of the English rule.

English rule  ::)

It was quite common for people to not know their own date of birth so it's not surprising that there can be variations on census forms, certificates, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Mary
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am back searching for Mary Gavin once again but this time I have a bit of meat on the bone, Mary who I have on the 1901 and 1911 census living with a Mary Barrett in Ballygraney Townland in Galway close to Gurteen, she had a sister called Anne (info from local man) whom I have found was born along with her two brothers Patrick and James in Doonane to a Michael Gavin and Margaret Kelly. I have searched all my resorces for Mary's birth cert or Baptism to no avail I have her age as 75 on her death cert in 1941 also in the census it is not so clear as in 1901 it says 40 and in 1911 it says 55 years of age. 
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Mary
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 March 22 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Should this be linked to your previous topics about Mary to prevent duplication of info/efforts?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 March 22 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Should this be linked to your previous topics about Mary to prevent duplication of info/efforts?

Yes Carole,

Here's one of a few...

topic merged

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 March 22 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes I totally agree, as I said in the opening lines ( I am back searching )  but had a long think and came up with which one should I add it ?  If I put it on the first one someone would comment on the second one and so on .  With the new info I have found (sisters birth ) and new found brother's I thought I would be brave and just go ahead and do it. ;D
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 March 22 08:39 GMT (UK) »
I have seen the posts in the past but have not reread them today - I perhaps should  ::)

May I just ask re the siblings, I see these records - Mount Bellew

Catherine 1864
Patrick 1865
Anne 1867
James 1870
Catherine 1872

How do you know that Mary is part of this family? If she was born before 1864, you would need the parish record. Have you searched there?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 March 22 08:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage here - indexed as December 1851 on Ancestry but could be 1852?
Michael Gavin and Margaret Kelly
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632052#page/82/mode/1up

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 March 22 09:39 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks heywood thats great,   the marriage is 01/02/1852 which leaves a big gap between Anne and the others we have found but I dont know if we can take anything from that. Margaret seems to have died in 1873 so maybe he married again and then had Mary?

Back in 2004 I went knocking on doors around the area and was delighted with the responce I got, when someone mentioned Anne being her sister it went straight over my head as at the time I was very new to doing ancestry research, it was just recently that someone commented again that Mary had a sister who worked for the Kelly family and lived in Doonane that I started to search for Anne and even found which graveyard she was in but still nothing on Mary.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 March 22 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am back searching for Mary Gavin once again but this time I have a bit of meat on the bone, Mary who I have on the 1901 and 1911 census living with a Mary Barrett in Ballygraney Townland in Galway close to Gurteen, she had a sister called Anne (info from local man) whom I have found was born along with her two brothers Patrick and James in Doonane to a Michael Gavin and Margaret Kelly. I have searched all my resorces for Mary's birth cert or Baptism to no avail I have her age as 75 on her death cert in 1941 also in the census it is not so clear as in 1901 it says 40 and in 1911 it says 55 years of age. 

For reference-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Cappalusk/Ballygreany/1385635/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Cappalusk/Ballygrany/462663/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!