Author Topic: Drummond/Gott/Genery/Gennery conundrum!  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drummond/Gott/Genery/Gennery conundrum!
« on: Friday 11 December 15 13:36 GMT (UK) »
My direct paternal line gets back to William Gott and Esther Drummond, married 1778, Durham. They had two children, William and Elizabeth. I started looking at Elizabeth and the concensus is that she married John Genery, a market gardener 1802, St.Brides church, Fleet Street and lived in the Lewisham. A number researchers have recorded that their son, Charles, born c1819 was the  Charles (Gennery) who married Sarah Underwood Sturman, b1829, Kings Langley. A number of trees have relied on this union!

It is worth noting that because of the alleged importance of James the name Drummond was incorporated through many generations and was used for at least three of Charles' siblings.

Now the conundrum! Clear records have emerged from Victoria, Australia of a Charles Drummond Genery, born c1819, Lewisham, marrying 1855 in Williamstown. Bride was a Anne Roberts, widowed 1845 born c1818, Deptford (same area as Charles).

Charles, a bachelor, is a Miner, arrived 1852; parents are listed as William Genery,  nurseryman and Elizabeth, maiden name Gott

Anne's parents are Thomas Marshall, mariner, and Sarah, maiden name Roberts.

Charles died in Williamstown 29 March1878, aged 60.Record shows one child, Anne Drummond Genery, aged 22 years. Informant was Mary Anne Roberts, stepdaughter.

The obvious anomaly is the father John or William Genery but it is so much of a coincidence! Whilst this doesn't affect my tree I am intrigued. I've searched records but have been unable to find a resolution. Any ideas folks?     

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drummond/Gott/Genery/Gennery conundrum!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the family trees (which I haven't verified) they note that John GENNERY died in 1821 so it is possible that Charles had no idea what his father's name was. 

Charles GENNERY and Sarah STURMAN were not married.  She and son Edwin are under STERMAN in 1861 and PARIS in 1871.  Sarah married James PARIS in 1863.

I was thinking that the two Charles were the same person, however as Edwin was born in Dec 1856 when Charles GENNERY (2) was in Australia then obviously he cannot be the father of that child.  If Sarah registered the birth she could have said anything about the identity of the father really.

Debra  :D

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 04:32 GMT (UK) »
When Edwin married he said his father was Charles GENNERY, a Chemist, but nobody has uploaded a copy of his birth cert and the info on that is more important and more reliable than something made up 23 years later.

Without knowing what was said at the time of his birth it is difficult to work out who his father was so perhaps you should ask a descendant for that information.

Debra  :D

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debra. It looks like Genery and Gennery were two distinct families, albeit in the same area, Deptford,Lewisham. On the actual Australian marriage registration Charles signs Charles Drummond Genery with a single 'n', as did his father, John, and siblings.

I'll follow up your info and suggestions.

Best wishes.

Offline paulinemackie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,I know this is an old post but just wanted to say that I too am a direct decendant of Esther Drummond and William Gott on my paternal side,are you aware of the history surrounding Esthers father,James Drummond.

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, Yes....James Drummond! I went through the hoops in search of an answer, The answer being there is no answer  ::) What I find so sad is that the headstones are in pieces and, being soft stone, the text is being 'blown off' with every winter. I'm a direct line down from William Gott and every now and again I try to establish where he came from and why. I have an idea but not yet proven.  ;)

Offline mikayla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
My Gt Grandmother Margaret Bell Gott told my Grandmother that she was the descendant of a Scottish nobleman,whether she was a romantic or if there was any truth in it who knows,I personally feel that the story is real as why would the Earl of Durham befriend James in a time when social difference was well established

Offline sak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just read these posts and was interested if any further proof has come to light regarding Charles Drummond Genery in Australia. It seems very likely that he was the one born in Lewisham to John Genery and Elizabeth Gott and not the same man who had a relationship with Sarah Sturman.
I am descended from Charles sister, Esther Elizabeth Drummond Genery who married William Henry Herring. Their 4 daughters emigrated to Australia also.
Would love to hear from anyone regarding this.

Sue.

Offline mikayla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 September 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi SAK,sorry I have no information for you,until this post was created I knew nothing about the Genery family,having read it again I am disappointed that I can't help you out.