Author Topic: Martha Smith of Morely, William Mason of Armley  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Martha Smith of Morely, William Mason of Armley
« on: Friday 23 July 04 01:57 BST (UK) »
we know very little of these two. we have a missal of hers, and in it, presumably in her hand, is written Martha Smith Book Morley, March 15 1796.
on 1 May 1796, in Batley, she married William Mason who was b. 2 Jun 1744 in Armley.

I don't know either of their parents or much about these two individuals.

is this her?
Martha Smith chr. 7 Jul 1786 Morely, Yorks, England, New Chapel Independant, b. 4 Jun 1786 father Thomas, mother Betty

it would have to be an "adult" baptism.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Smith of Morely, William Mason of Armley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neko

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Smith of Morely, William Mason of Armley
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 23:34 GMT (UK) »
funny, I just picked up this line of research today after setting it aside for awhile.
unfortunately, no, I have nothing new, except that I am pretty certain that the baptism I found that I thought was her, isn't. it isn't an adult baptism, and marriages of adult men to child girls is uncommon. I found another possible baptism of a Martha Smith today, not in Batley, but in Leeds. I had to go through alot of the 619 listings for Martha Smith b. 1774 +-5 years to find a likely fit, and there was only the one, unless there's an unknown to me nearby town other than Leeds...

MARTHA SMITH 
  Female     
  ~~~~~~~~
Event(s):
 Birth:  08 OCT 1774   

Christening:  06 NOV 1774   Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire, England

Death: 
 Burial: 
 ~~~~~~~~
Parents:
  Father:  JOHN SMITH

Martha doesn't appear to be all that willing to be found.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt