Author Topic: Downloading a GEDCOM file  (Read 3748 times)

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading a GEDCOM file
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 December 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I too have be trying to move my trees from FTM to Roots magic 7.
Last night when I opened RootsMagic they had issued an update, fixing a few bugs. One new feature is to import images and when I went into people their media was attached. Haven't had a chance to check them all out yet.

Offline florna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has given advice. It is much appreciated!
Happy Christmas
Dave

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 December 15 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if this has been covered, but I am finding it a little confusing to understand file links...
I managed to import my tree into RootsMagic 7 via a Gedcom created in FTM  (that had been sync with my Ancestry Tree online).
After the latest program updates in RootsMagic 7, the media images were also imported.
Up to that point I'm OK.
When I look at the image file data, it says it is in:
C:\Users\My Name\Documents\FamilyTreeMaker\The Tree Name Media\1851 England Census etc

Now my confusion! Obviously if I delete my tree from FTM the media links and images disappear.  Also I'm not sure on the copyright rules on these things we download into our trees. Should I go into the file "Tree Name Media" and copy, save and rename the images then link in RM7 individually.  Does that break any rules? Ancestry and FTM being so closely connected.
Thank you in advance for any help to help me understand!

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 December 15 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I fully understand the situation, but it should be possible to copy the entire media folder from your FTM folder to a dedicated RootsMagic media folder, obviously before you delete anything.

I believe the copyright rules allow you to keep copies for your own use so I don't think it's necessary to rename the image files.

If you want to redirect the media file links you can use the RootsMagic Search & Replace command as below:

search for C:\Users\My Name\Documents\FamilyTreeMaker\The Tree Name Media\1851 England Census etc

replace with (say) C:\Users\My Name\Documents\RootsMagic\The Tree Name Media\1851 England Census etc

Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 December 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks mike175  I will give it a go!