Author Topic: The Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD)  (Read 2290 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: The Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 December 15 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I don't know the answer to why they weren't paid, but it could be something to do with the fact that women in the early 1900s didn't usually work, especially if they came from the middle or upper classes which is where most VADs came from. They were unaccustomed to hardship and traditional hospital discipline and were not trained nurses but were volunteers.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 December 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Pre-war it was a part-time voluntary commitment, usually carried out in the women's home areas - a bit like belonging to a club or other voluntary organisation.

During the First World War VADs working in military hospitals under War Office control in the UK and almost all VADs working overseas were well paid for their work - unfortunately many myths about 'no pay' have worked their way into current websites and articles. Some details about nurses' pay here:

http://www.fairestforce.co.uk/12.html

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 December 15 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but from that site, those who didn't go abroad were still not paid:

"VAD members employed in the United Kingdom under the Joint War Committee received allowances for board and lodging but no pay – ‘voluntary’ was the vital word."

I presume that those chosen to go abroad would be younger single women, or perhaps those who had had previous nursing experience? Vera Brittain's book 'Testament of Youth' makes interesting reading of that time. She was an undergraduate student at Somerville College, Oxford and when war broke out disrupted her studies to enrol as a volunteer nurse, nursing casualties both in England and on the Western Front.

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 December 15 18:47 GMT (UK) »
The Joint War Committee was the wartime amalgamation of the British Red Cross Society and St. John.  VADs employed in their auxiliary hospitals in the UK weren't paid, but those working in the UK in military hospitals under War Office control were paid, as well as those overseas.

So Vera Brittain would not have been paid initially while working in Buxton, but was paid when she later moved to London to work at No.1 London General Hospital, Camberwell, and of course when she went overseas to Malta and later to France. I agree that there were many thousands of VADs who worked in the UK and were not paid, but wrong to assume that VADs were never paid.

Women had to be at least 23 years of age for overseas service, and the average age was a good deal higher than that, so they had to be older and more mature to work overseas than in the UK.

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 December 15 18:54 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting. Unfortunately it doesn't get us any closer to identifying who the lady is apart from the fact it probably wasn't taken around WW1.

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 December 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you groom and thank you Scarletwoman for all your help!

It is also "clear" to me that I have no idea who this woman was, or what was her picture doing among my great grandmother's. Maybe she was a friend, a niece, a neighbour or who knows!!!...  :-\

I'm going to forget all about this matter. Nevertheless it has been very interesting finding information about VADs, and discussing it with such helpful people as you are.

A million thanks!  :)

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 September 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone could help.

Just discovered that my great aunt, Kezia Esther McConville (nee Allen) was a VAD in WW1. I have found her VAD cards on the Red Cross site, and also her medal index card. Could someone please help me with the acronyms?

- VAD card 1 Using her maiden name:

Date of engagement: Engaged 2 March 1916; Rank=N.S. = nurse?
    Date of termination: 10 Mar 1917; Rank=N.S. = nurse?
    Previous Engagements under Jt War Committee ... Dept for References: Liverpool: Hcs:
    Period of service 2 Mar 1916 - 10 Mar 1917 (when she was heavily pregnant); Commission or Dept for references = France

- VAD card 2 Using her married name

Date of engagement: Engaged 14 July 1915 (possibly an error, 14 May 1917 instead); Rank T.N. = trained nurse?
    Date of termination: 31 Dec 1917; Rank= nothing typed
    Previous Engagements under Jt War Committee ... Dept for References: T.N. Dept.
    Period of service: 14 July 1915 (possibly an error, 14 May 1917 instead), after her son was born) - 31 Dec 1917. ; Commission or Dept for references = T.N. Dept

Medal card

Corps = BRC & ST JJ= British Red Cross and Order of St John of Jerusalem?
    Victory Medal - Roll= BRX/101B/page 9
    British - same

One other mystery. Cassie was from Lancashire. Sadly, she died in December 1918 from plu/pneumonia, likely a casualty of the Spanish Flu pandemic and a consequence of treating wounded soldiers from the war. The strange thing is that she died in a nursing home in Westcliff on Sea aged just 33. How can I explain her presence in Essex. Might she have worked on the ambulance trains shipping the wounded from France. That's today's theory but would welcome any other ideas to explain this odd location (Her mother from Lancashire was at her bedside when she died).

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

In anticipation, many thanks and best wishes

John

Owens-Swansea/Wallasey/Garston,L’pool
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Allen-Tetsworth/Hoole/Runcorn/St.Helens/Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Davies-Holywell,Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes
Hughes-Marchwiel,Bangor-Is-Coed,Denbs
Thomas-Oswestry, Salop/Liverpool
Cole-Cliffe Peppard/Lyneham, Wilts
Frawley-Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
Conway-Coolanoran,Co.Limerick
Dinneen-Ballingarry,Co. Limerick