Author Topic: Major John Shergold Esq.  (Read 752 times)

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Major John Shergold Esq.
« on: Saturday 12 December 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I have a brickwall where a certain amount of profiling has been done and then some relevent facts are missing...... always the way I suppose....

I am looking for the death/ or burial / or funeral notice /or age at death /or probate /or any other information regarding one Major John Shergold Esq of Conisbrough , Yorkshire West Riding.

The gentleman in question is found paying his taxes** between 1797 and 1802 for a property in Conisbrough which included a garden noted by the Gentlemans Magazine where a Roman Path was found to be under the former.  There is no entry for the chap in the 1820 Directory, but not surprising since out of the 1142 inhabitants only 23 are listed on the page for the town. Amongst those was Rev Henry Watkins vicar and his service period at St Peter may have some bearing to Major John Shergold esq but that is not confirmed.

We know that Major John Shergold Esq was of the Sherwood Rangers, Retford Regiment of Nottinghamshire serving under Sir Thomas Wollaston White, 1st Baronet and this is confirmed by several mentions in London Gazette as well as the Stamford Mercury and the available historical book about the History of the Sherwood Rangers. It is known that between 1802 and 1808 Mr John Shergold Esq received his ranks ie Lieutenant, Captain and Major.    As well there is a probate of the Baronet in the Nottinghamshire archives for which both Gentlemen are mentioned with John Shergold to become a beneficiary for a property for 500 years [ yes 500 years......   they do things with a mild sense of humour in Nottinghamshire and Lancashire as one of the Molyneux family members received a land grant from King Charles for 1000 years] . The Baronet died 1815 so Major John Shergold Esq is probably still alive in that year but again this has not been confirmed.  I dont expect that our John Shergold Esq was going to be alive in 2315 AD even though he would have been a mighty fit chap with all the recorded marching of the Regiment throughout England.

What also at this time has not been made clear is whether in fact both gentlemen went to Spain under Wellington to fight against forces of Napoleon but I will settle for any information regarding his death or burial  from the apparently transcribed burials of 1555 to 1931 St Peter Conisbrough; so his birthplace and genealogical structure can be determined.

**I would like to also point out that in the Tax records the place names of Strafforth and Tickhill were mentioned and have no idea to what end those two places which are some distance from Conisbrough would even be on the entries.

I would also be interested in any biographical entries in English published material ie National Biography which I do not have access to.

Thank you in advance for any contributions that come forth.

Marty Shergold

And Merry Christmas

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Major John Shergold Esq.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 December 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
The Nottingham Review of 28 December 1827 and the Bath Chronicle of 3 January 1828 report the death of Sarah, the wife of Major Shergold, at Worksop, on Wednesday, the 12th December.

There is a very lengthy PCC Will for John Shergold of Radford, Worksop, proved in March 1830, which mentions his late wife Sarah.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 15 10:34 GMT (UK) »
"The Sheffield Independent and Yorkshire and Derbyshire Advertiser" for Saturday 21 November 1829 announced the death of John Shergold at Worksop "On Sunday last".

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Per the NBI, John Shergold aged 70 was buried at St Mary (Priory), Worksop on 23 November 1829

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 December 15 13:19 GMT (UK) »
excellent Shaun!    and thanks regorian for link.

So our chap was born circa 1759 and now I can check for him in my files and give him a first class write up........  another mystery solved..thanks

Shaun....postum.....just went to anc and downloaded the probate....Lawdy Lawdy 9 pages...I never seen one that long before.....poor ol Snapes that appeared after must have been sitting in the waiting room on the day for a while.....  thank stars writing is readable.... cheers

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 December 15 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Makes one wonder is the nephews poem "Isis" is written from the news on a daily front of newspapers or the recollections of Major John Shergold; either way to attach the man to his rightful lineage now makes the research for Archangel and Brighthelmston worthy of the time endured.......