Author Topic: Henry Adams of Tunbridge Wells  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Adams of Tunbridge Wells
« on: Sunday 13 December 15 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find census etc information for Henry Adams of Tunbridge Wells. He was the owner of a company called Adams & Co and that company is found in the T.Wells deirectory of 1913 and 1918 at 16 Newton Rd as mechanical engineers. The same company as mechanical engineers are in the 1922 and 1930 Kelly at Monson Road. They do not appear after that but there is a listing in 1934 and 1937 for Adams & Co, motor engineers, Winterstoke Rd, Bedminster, Bristol but I do not know if they are the same company ( I suspect not).

Also Graces Guide gave "Messirs Adams & Co of Tunbridge Wells as exhibitors at the 1908 Motor Show in the Accessories Section as manufacturers of motor jacks and a patent elevator for servicing cars. Also they introduced a washing device (flexible joint spray nozzle).

I found the patent record (US 837372) for the elevating and transporting referred to by Graces Guide and the patent was awarded to Henry Adams of 30 Monson Collonade,Tunbridge Wells. The patent was filed April 13,1906.

From an encyclopedia of Motor Car Makers I found H. Adams of Tunbridge Wells (Adams & Co) who offered a conversion set that converted horse drawn carriages into motorized vehicles and they record that in 1905 Adams produced a small 2 cyl car sold under the name of "One of the Best". This record gives the dates of operation of the company as 1903 to 1906 but I have found other records that contradict those dates.

I have a photo of a motor car (a tourer of 10HP) made by Adams & Co of Tunbridge Wells which was shown at a Classic Car International Show, but no details about the car or the maker were given -just what I have given here.

I also found a second patent (US 811116) dated January 30,1906 awarded to Henry Adams of Tunbridge Wells for a motor car related item.

I also have a reference to a Kent & Sussex newspaper article (which I have ordered from the library) dated November 12,1890 and a second on Nov 14,1890 about a "Disasterous Fire" that occurred on  Newton Rd T.Wells which damaged many premises including that of Mr Henry Adams.

I also found an application to exhibit at the Olympia Commercial Vehicle Exhibition to be held July 18-26,1913 in the component and accessory section. and gave the company as Adams & Co of 16 Newton Road,Tunbridge Wells.

I also found a private residence listing for a Henry Adams of 30 Monson Collonade,Tunbridge Wells and also a Mrs Adams at the same address in 1903.

I should have been able to find census records for Henry Adams in T.Wells in 1891, 1901 and 1911 but did not find a record-very mystifying !  Can someone help please.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Adams of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 December 15 15:19 GMT (UK) »
1901 ref -RG13 /753 f26 page 43
Henry is not at the address you have given but Elizabeth S A Adams age 47 born Hounslow is there with children.

Children all bn TW
Alice M age 23
Isabel 21
Elvira 17
Mabel 14
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
1881 - RG11/914 f73p6

Henry is age 27 born Mountfield, Sussex (occupation Inn Keeper)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK61-FN98

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 15 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Marriage June qtr 1874 
Henry Adams       
Elizabeth Sarah A Hallifax       
Thanet    2a   1233    

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 December 15 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Henry & Elizabeth Sarah Ann Adams are both buried in T Wells.  ;)
This is possibly Henry's death
Sep qtr 1921   
Henry Adams age  74   
Croydon reg district    2a   314

Dec qtr 1920 
Elizabeth S A Adams age    67   
Tonbridge reg dist    2a   901

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 December 15 15:51 GMT (UK) »
1891 he is at 28 Monson Rd
RG12/677 f90 p53

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 December 15 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your input. I now have everything I need to know about the Adams family. It turns out that the Adams clan came from a long line of builders with Henry Adams being one of them at least for part of his life. He had a son George Thomas Adams born 1881 in Tunbridge Wells who became an engineer and so it was he who was the technical brains behind the company Adams & Co who made motor cars etc. George Thomas Adams married Nellie Eliza Aston March 30,1907 at St Andrew Stoke Newington. George Thomas Adams and his wife Nellie are found in the 1911 census at 6 Somerset Road Tunbridge Wells where George was given as a manufacturing engineer. In 1922 he and his wife, and possibly children, were living in T.Wells at 154 Upper Grosvenor Rd. He left T.Wells before 1930 and moved to London where he died in 1967.

I would appreciate assistance with one loose end. I found a record in the Gazette dated May 10,1907 stating that the partnership between George Thomas Adams and "F.R. Bonamy Price" operating as general engineers at 16 Newton Rd,Tunbridge Wells was ended by mutual agreement and that George Thomas Adams in conjuction with Henry Adams (his father)  of 30 Monson Colonnade,T.Wells, will continue the business." I have not been able to figure out who "F.R. Bonamy Price" is-can anyone help please?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 December 15 13:55 GMT (UK) »

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 December 15 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes Rosie I have him now.

Thank you all for your fine assistance. I now have all I need on this topic.