Author Topic: The dreaded change of Ancestry  (Read 29263 times)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
The dreaded change of Ancestry
« on: Monday 14 December 15 02:14 GMT (UK) »
It's gone down the pan.......I don't like it at all. >:(

Oh well, at least Xmas is near. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded change of Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 15 06:54 GMT (UK) »
You mean that despite being warned in August, you've only now decided to take a look?! :o
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 15 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Well --  I have spent a lot of time with the new format - cos its a case of having to.  AND in the end I decided it would be good for my brain to face the challenge...........  :-\

So far I am coping and altering the information that they have decided is correct ( :o :( >:( >:() as I go along...ARGH the  HINCKLEY I need is in LEICESTERSHIRE --- although I know at one point it crossed the border as far as census returns were concerned to Warwickshire ... It definitely did not find its way to AMERICA   :-X :-\ :-\

I am not going to use the term 'happy' but I am becoming accustomed with it.

one slight niggle is - viewing other peoples trees and attempting to make a comparison, with your own -- is now not so easy... Maybe that is just to 'be-fuddle' us.

OK.... now I have to learn how to use my new phone and
I may not be such an O.F ool

Xin

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 15 11:42 GMT (UK) »
You mean that despite being warned in August, you've only now decided to take a look?! :o

Groooooooooooooooooan ::)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 15 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look when it was first announced, didn't like it then so went back to the old version.

I still don't like it, but I suppose I will have to get used to it.

Just hope that all my editing efforts have worked to add countries where I needed to, and no one has moved overseas. :-\
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 December 15 13:19 GMT (UK) »
So far I am coping and altering the information that they have decided is correct ( :o :( >:( >:() as I go along...ARGH the  HINCKLEY I need is in LEICESTERSHIRE --- although I know at one point it crossed the border as far as census returns were concerned to Warwickshire ... It definitely did not find its way to AMERICA   :-X :-\ :-\

Just hope that all my editing efforts have worked to add countries where I needed to, and no one has moved overseas. :-\

Then don't use the Lifestory view but just the Facts view, as that won't add incorrect Countries where no country, or county, has been entered.  As it remembers which view you've used previously, its not really an issue. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 December 15 13:42 GMT (UK) »

Since I have had NO internet access, for almost 2 years, except an odd hour at my part time library every week or so, I was unaware of what this site was to become.

I was asked to TRY the new layout, (once I had established an internet supplier). I didn't like it, so I carried on using the 'old one'.

Lo and behold, while adding information to my tree last night, without warning it switched to the new layout.
At this moment in time, I feel like deleting my trees, and going elsewhere.   I will try and persevere, but I can't see it happening.  I'll give it a serious go, and see what happens.

But at the moment, it's not looking very good  for that site, as far as I'm concerned.   Why fix what isn't broken, and they will never go back to what was a very easy, and usable layout, despite their little problems with it.
Too much time and money spent, for them to backtrack.  Typical for a site and country, that does not want to ask it's customers for their opinion that actually use it, and pay for it.

There is obviously a reason why the old and new, cannot work side by side.  And I do not know why, nor do I care.  They are the masters of it all, so I, and others have to make that choice, of to carry on with it, or dump it.  But I would guess, a good majority will try and persevere.

Time will tell, but it still stinks, in my opinion. >:(

Oh yes, I have quite a few rellies from PENN in Buckinghamshire, and not Pennsylvania, USA, thank goodness.   Are these people,(so called transcribers) unaware, that there is life outside the USA in Bucks. ;D
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 December 15 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 December 15 14:00 GMT (UK) »

I also logged on today after an absence and found the "new" version.  Have managed to find my way around it and will persevere and see how it goes, no choice really.  :-\

I have hopped between the two versions, but did prefer the "old" one, don't know if it is because I was "used" to it and if that's the case perhaps I can get "used" to the new one.  Time will tell
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)