Author Topic: The dreaded change of Ancestry  (Read 29211 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded change of Ancestry
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry hasn't changed your data at all! (Check the Profile of that person if you don't believe me!)

BUT when it displays the details, Ancestry defaults to North American place-names - well, Ancestry IS an American company ::)

Leeds, Yorkshire might be OK in a UK-based FH program.
But Ancestry is worldwide! Leeds could be anywhere!! ;D

Do you work for Ancestry KG?...or are you on commission...if not..then you should be ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you work for Ancestry KG?...or are you on commission...if not..then you should be ;D ;D

Carol

No! ;D
But I have worked in IT since I left school - changes to computer systems/software are part of my everyday life ;)

Most changes to software are cosmetic; but people get frightened by the new look. (Remember the howls of anguish when RootsChat changed? Does it bother you now?!)

Sometimes the changes go wrong (FindMyPast take note!).

All I ask is that people stop and think about the changes; work out what has really changed, rather than moaning about the look and feel.

And, please remember that Ancestry is a commercial organisation, in business to make a profit.
They make changes to appease the masses.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 10:12 GMT (UK) »

All I ask is that people stop and think about the changes; work out what has really changed, rather than moaning about the look and feel.

This is an example of what has REALLY changed

Livermore (exact match) census list
Not even best matches first. It did NOT do that on the old version, when EXACT search really was exact. It is acting as if I had ticked similar.
So don't tell me what I'm saying "simply isn't true"

My big problem is the way the search has changed. With old Ancestry search if you ticked the box for exact match on a surname, that is what you got. Now if I tick "exact match" it is totally ignored and I get thousands of hits, some nothing like the name.

Sorry? ???
That's simply not true! ;D

The "new" Ancestry (i.e. as of today) has NOT changed the search functionality one iota.
Use the sliders if necessary to increase the exactness.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
.       Do you work for Ancestry KG?...or are you on commission...if not..then you should be ;D ;D

I was wondering that as well.  ;D

I think they have tweaked it a bit since I first saw it back in August, there certainly aren't so many people who have been whisked overseas to die etc. It seems to be a case of fiddling around with settings until it suits you, for instance I've turned off the historical fact bits that told me, " xxxxx was born during the coldest winter of the decade."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I suppose its like all technological changes there will be teething problems to sort out, eventually.

Am finding my way around ok. I think now that you cannot jump back and forward from old to new
its better, for me at least.

I stick to "facts" as this suits me best and the rest is unnecessary in my opinion.

My only real criticism is the COLOUR - its sore on the eyes and the dark background makes my old eyes water :'( :'( :'(

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »

This is an example of what has REALLY changed

Livermore (exact match) census list
Not even best matches first. It did NOT do that on the old version, when EXACT search really was exact. It is acting as if I had ticked similar.
So don't tell me what I'm saying "simply isn't true"

My big problem is the way the search has changed. With old Ancestry search if you ticked the box for exact match on a surname, that is what you got. Now if I tick "exact match" it is totally ignored and I get thousands of hits, some nothing like the name.

Sorry? ???
That's simply not true! ;D

The "new" Ancestry (i.e. as of today) has NOT changed the search functionality one iota.
Use the sliders if necessary to increase the exactness.

I'm with KGarrard on this, the search does not seem to have changed with the latest 'new' ancestry. What you are showing for Livermore is no different than before. The alternatives put in by other ancestry members have always come up as have the alternative name Ancestry has always put in for say a daughter in law. All 702 records shown in your example do give exact matches to the records held.

Simon

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Exact should mean EXACT and I certainly did not get all these additional other names previously.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Why cant I access the census information? I have a subscription and its telling me to subscribe again!?

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Probably silly but you are logged in aren't you?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk