Author Topic: The dreaded change of Ancestry  (Read 29164 times)

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded change of Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 December 15 15:39 GMT (UK) »
 I've  been 'changed' over to  the  new  version   ,   haven't  been on  Ancestry for a while   and  today   found   the change   having to make a few alterations  as to  Place  names, they have  my  husbands grandmother  living  in  Papua New Guinea  in 1963! (should  have been  Hackney )   

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 December 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I have been switched over to the new Anc and you need a degree to work it out. Before anyone says, "you were told in August", I wanted to stick to the old format for as long as I could. I may get used to it but I am not holding my breath.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I must be missing something. When I search, the results seem to come up pretty much as before. The page looks a little different but that's only cosmetic.

Maybe it's because I don't have an online tree, and rarely look at other people's because, from what I've seen, there are plenty of Ancestry users who neither know nor care if the information is wrong . . . as long as they have plenty of it  ;)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:25 GMT (UK) »
You mean that despite being warned in August, you've only now decided to take a look?! :o

We've also been warned that the end of the world is coming, but do I want to experience it?  No!  Unhelpful comments to be expected I suppose!

Anyway, logged in, and Yikes, there it is!  Didn't like it when first introduced and still don't.

First person I look at was married in Leeds, Yorkshire but his daughter is born in Leeds, Ontario.   Smart isn't it?   I haven't changed it so it was THEM. 

The dark bar is gloomy, nothing else to say yet.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I must be missing something. When I search, the results seem to come up pretty much as before. The page looks a little different but that's only cosmetic.

Maybe it's because I don't have an online tree, and rarely look at other people's because, from what I've seen, there are plenty of Ancestry users who neither know nor care if the information is wrong . . . as long as they have plenty of it  ;)

Mike.

Thanks. Mike.
Exactly what I have been saying on the other thread!

First person I look at was married in Leeds, Yorkshire but his daughter is born in Leeds, Ontario.   Smart isn't it?   I haven't changed it so it was THEM. 

So you entered their place of birth as simply "Leeds", rather than "Leeds, Yorkshire, England"?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I changed to the new version about a month ago. Not having any problems with it, other than it has moved some places to other parts of the world when I had not stipulated England. That is not a problem as I only have small trees on there but I do feel sorry for those with several thousand people in their trees, still I am sure they will assiduously check each and every one to ensure they are still correct.  ;)

On a side note in the tree I was building recently the drop down label for Scalby, near Scarborough is

Scalby (near Scarbprpigj), Yorkshire, England    :)

Oh dear !
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I have just managed to access the old version??? the one I was using yesterday :) 

so today I have been on old and new... and cos MY Mind had decided to put up and shut up, just get on and learn the new ................  the old format came back!!!   how long for I don't know..

xin

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:44 GMT (UK) »
That's hilarious David...try putting that into your Sat Nav....who knows where you'll end up  :D :D ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 December 15 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Well I only changed today and although I was absolutely dreading it, I'm pleasantly surprised to find it not as bad as feared.

Nothing too awful seems to have happened in terms of people popping up in another country.  Perhaps I've been lucky there because I have omitted England in many instances. The facts page is ok.  I like the gallery page.

It is certainly different and will take some getting used to. Especially when actually working on the tree........  but I'm sure I'll get there  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk