Author Topic: Joseph Young of Clay Cross  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Young of Clay Cross
« on: Monday 14 December 15 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I’m trying to look for any information regarding Joseph Young of Clay Cross. Born 1823-24? possibly in the Ashover area.
He was living in 1861 at Tunnel Row, Clay Cross with his wife Martha (nee Haslam) and family.
I would like to know who his parents were and whether John had any siblings.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Young of Clay Cross
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 15 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you found him in 1851?
Martha was with her children and her parents -but no Joseph??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a Joseph Young baptised North Wingfield 26.10.1823 son of Elizabeth..the same Joseph may have married a Martha..will check it out,
Married Martha Haslam at Old brampton 14.08.1848.................how sure are you of the ashover connection?????? JOSEPH YOUNG baptised Ashover 14.10.1827 son of John and Sarah........I have the PR's for N Wingfield..Ashover.and Old Brampton.....
Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 15 19:34 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Joseph Young on the 1841 aged 13-ish..in the Chesterfield Union Workhouse with no parents........MARTHA YOUNG is on the 1851 without Joseph, but with a one year old daughter Martha..and her parents and siblings misspelt as Heslam..........she was allegedly born in Stretton....a hamlet in the Parish of North Wingfield!!!!..getting there perhaps!!........
By the way she was not married at OLD BRAMPTON...but at the Church of St.Thomas NEW Brampton.....getting very near to Clay lane and Clay Cross.....
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you suz and Derek for your replies, greatly appreciated.

Suz you asked if I’d found  Joseph is in the 1851. No, I’ve only found him in1861and 1871, living in Clay Cross. 1841 and 1851 missing.

Derek I’m not at all sure about Ashover connection, a cousin suggested it, possibly because Haslams came from that area.

Is it possible Joseph was an illegitimate child, if it is him it’s sad to see him living in the Chesterfield Workhouse in 1841 at such a young age, could you please tell me if you have any details regarding him? Not a pleasant place to live in according to Chas. Dickens.

Martha, the daughter of Martha and Joseph married George Roworth and their family were baptised at N. Wingfield Church including my Grandfather also called Joseph. Could this be a connection with Martha’s father baptised there in 1823?

(James Haslam the younger brother of Martha, Joseph’s wife, was MP for Chesterfield, statue outside old NUM Offices in Chesterfield)
kind regards
Bill

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I think tha Joseph WAS illegitimate..son of Elizabeth......single mother of at least two other fatherless children..which wouild explain why he was in the Chesterfield Union Workhouse. \if \i can find the other two children of Elizabeth, perhaps in the Workhouse..it would prove the point. Watch this space!!
Derek

Offline Dalesman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 16 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek
Could this be Joseph, possibly in the Clay Cross area?

Although still missing from 1841 and 1851 Census,

Joseph Young  b.1823 c. 8/3/1826. d 21st Apr.1895. Parents:- John Young  & Sarah Young. Primitive Methodists.
Bill