Author Topic: William Lewis  (Read 1298 times)

Offline derek65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Lewis
« on: Monday 14 December 15 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for William Lewis born 1794 Blaina Monmouthshire in the 1841 Wales Census'
He might be in the Llanwonno Parish of Merthyr Registration District.

Can someone help please

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 15 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The 1841 does not show actual birthplaces - only whether they were born in the county in which they were living. 

Enumerators were instructed to round down ages from 16yrs to the nearest 5yrs.  (eg)  if William was born 1794 he would be approx 46/47 in 1841 so would be shown as 45

Can you give any additional info as to who would have been likely to be living with him in 1841 (ie) names of wife or children to help narrow it down

There are 3 entries in Glamorgan who were not born in Glamorgan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline derek65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your interest Carole

I have posted members of this family before,but for now I am looking for William Lewis born 1794.
People who could be with him are Margaret born 1796/98,who I think might be his sister/wife,another William Lewis born 1816 and his wife Margaret born 1820 and their family:=

Emanuel Lewis born 1836,Elias Lewis born 1838,Enoch Lewis born 1839 are the children

As I've said in previous posts,I have records of this family 1851 Wales Census,but the 1861 Wales Census have William Lewis born 1794 and Margaret 1798 as parents.Their birth parents William Lewis born 1816 and wife Margaret are not in this Census.

Hope this helps

Derek

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm posting the full 1851 entry for reference.  I have a feeling that Margaret may possibly be a second wife given that she is 30 and Emanuel is 14 but I may be wrong

1851 for Llangattock Breconshire

William Lewis 35 b Blaenau Monmouth
Margaret  30 b Llanelly, Brecon
Emanuel  14 ditto
Elias  13     ditto
Enoch  12 ditto
Eliazer 10  Merthyr Glamorgan
Taliesin 6 Llanwenarth Monmouth
Ebenezer 4   ditto
HO107 Piece 2490 Folio 225 Page 44
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline derek65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carole ,but William Lewis born 1816 in Blaenav (Blaenavon) and Margaret born 1921 in Llanelly Breconshire,are the parents of the children in the 1851 wales census.The William Lewis born 1794 in Blaina and Margaret born 1797 in Blaina who are listed in the 1861 Wales Census as the parents are definitely not, as they are much older than the parents and they were both born in a completely different place.Incidentally,a daughter Margaret was born in 1852 Llanelly Breconshire,and she is in the 1861 Wales Census,along with the guardians,(not parents) William b.1794 and Margaret b.1797

It's very confusing I know and that's why I'm trying to find out where they are in 1841.

Thanks again Carole

Derek

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 17:05 GMT (UK) »
The Margaret I am referring to as a possible second wife is the one shown as born 1821.  That would make her 16yrs old when Emanuel was born as shown in my reply.   Not impossible for her to have married at that age and there is always the possibility her age is incorrect in 1851.

Do you have a copy of Emanuel's birth cert confirming Margaret was his mother as that would mean any 1841 entry should show William & Margaret with at least the first 3 children

Offline derek65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Emanuel was born in 1836 in Llanelli Breconshire so no birth record,and Parish records I have searched for a baptism have drawn a blank also,and yes, I follow your logic re. Margaret

I did find Eleiser Lewis on BMD as being born in 1841 at Merthyr Reg District V26 p373. I applied to GRO to buy this birth certificate,but they have recently sent me an email saying that they have been unable to find a certificate for him.

I have the Volume /Page numbers for Elias b.1838 and Enoch b.1839.I'm assuming that William 1815 and Margaret 1821 have died between 1852 and 1861 as they are not on the 1861 Census,so 1841 is key to this mystery I feel

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Duh - of course there won't be a birth cert for Emanuel - apologies.

I haven't been able to find an 1841 entry unfortunately which is really frustrating.

Offline derek65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Well,thanks for your assistance,I've enjoyed the correspondence.I see you've made a correction to the 1851 Wales Census Carole.I'm not subscribed to Ancestry at the moment,so what was the correction ?

Llanelli in Breconshire was the birth place of the sons born before 1841.
I've now found out that Llanelly in Carmarthenshire has the same parish church name,namely St Elli,and there is an Elias 1838 and an Enoch 1839 listed there.No,it's not possible is it!

Thanks again .........Derek