Author Topic: Looking for birth/baptism of Cat(h)erine le Cras  (Read 1254 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for birth/baptism of Cat(h)erine le Cras
« on: Tuesday 15 December 15 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Catherine le Cras married Jean du Bois in St Lawrence, Jersey on 13 Dec 1730. I have found baptisms for three children Douce 1732, Catherine 1734 and Jean 1737. Catherine was buried on 2 Apr 1741 (no age given). I have found two baptisms for Cat(h)erine le Crases which would be feasible.

11 mar 1711 at St Lawrence - father Richard, mother not named
24 mar 1699 at St Mary - father Jacque, mother Catherine nee Le Brocq.

I tend to favour the first based on location, in which case Catherine would be 19 when she married. If the 1699 baptism, she would be 31 which seems a bit old unless this was a second marriage.

Can anyone please help. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth/baptism of Cat(h)erine le Cras
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Without looking too deeply into the family I think you are probably right about Catherine's father being Richard.
On the Jersey Archive website, which includes the names of godparents, her daughter Douce's godparents are given as Richard Le Cras and Douce Marett, widow of Edouard Le Cras. Although there is  nothing to say that this Richard was Catherine's father it is not unusual to find grandparents standing as godparents.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. How do you access the Jersey Archive website, I had a link but it now gives me an error message.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 17:36 GMT (UK) »
The website is www.jerseyheritage.org but the records are on the subscription part of of the site. At £30 for a years membership it's not too expensive especially if you have a lot Jersey connections, the added bonus is that the records are accurate, unlike those on some other sites.
Baptism, marriage and burial records from the beginning of the registers until 1842 are there plus numerous other records and it is being added to all the time.

It might be worth your while to browse the catalogue, use Advanced Search and enter the names in surname, comma, space, christian name order. Any records associated that name will be displayed and clicking on a specific entry will give you more details. If is says something along the lines of 'a PDF is available' it means that the complete record is in the subscription section.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I'll look into it. I could have quite a number of Jersey records to look up so £30 would be worth it.