Author Topic: Father of Henry Paxton  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Father of Henry Paxton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 December 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wonder of this could be Thomas in 1871
Thomas Panton Head Widower 63 b 1808 Police Constable b Midlothian (On another site his surname has been transcribed as Parton)
Isabella Panton sister Unmarried 84 b 1787 b Duns, Berwickshire Annuitant
Catherine Wilson servant widow 59 b 1812 Inverkeithing, Fife General Servant

The address is 77 Potter Row which is the same as for Thomas Paxton in the 1851 Census. I do think that the death which Ev found in 1874 would be worth looking at.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 December 15 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your information. The reason for the search is to try and find a connection to another member of the Paxton Family. Henry's marriages both took place in England, perhaps he lost touch with his father although he gave hi as deceased in 1885. I still find the changes of occupation strange. I will stop the search for the time being and see if I can find out any thing about his Police record.

RBC

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 December 15 19:01 GMT (UK) »
.... I still find the changes of occupation strange...
RBC

I had the same thing with a Thomas Christie born Logie Pert (mother's maiden name Paxton ::)). When he got married in 1855 he was a listed as shoemaker...by 1861 he'd moved to Edinburgh and joined the police.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev and William
Having seen Jen's post you must be correct about the records. I have just been looking through my records, it is still very confusing.  I haven't got a birth record for Henry. I searched for his father after I had his marriage record. I assumed that Thomas on the 1841 Census record and the 1857 Marriage record for Henry were the same person. Then I found the 1851 Census which appeared to have the same children but a different mother and a father with a different occupation. Henry was an Apprentice Tailor and he remained a Tailor throughout his life so that must be proof of the connection.

RBC

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jen. 

A Shoemaker then a Policeman and also a Paxton that is a coincidence. Thomas Paxton is the GGGrandfather of a friend, I have the Tree. Did you manage to find out anything about the Edinburgh Police Force? I think I am now going to have to accept that the records are for the same family.
I am as sure as I can be that I have the correct Marriage records for Henry. Henry was recorded on all the records as a Tailor. He must have lost touch with his father. I was so pleased when I found the 1841 Census record giving Thomas as a Currier which seemed to prove the Henry Thomas relationship.
Thomas was listed as a Sargeant in 1851 and a Constable in 1861, was he demoted?

RBC

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish.

Yes, it does appear that it is the correct record for his marriage. Thank you. It would be interesting to
know what his occupation was when he married.

RBC

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 17:56 GMT (UK) »
RBC,
Sorry I did not follow through on the Edinburgh Police Force - Thomas had a short career with them as in 1867 both he and his wife died of typhus and his mother Ann Paxton slit her own throat! He is my, still elusive, James Christie the Tailor's brother.
Jen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I have since emailed Edinburgh City Archives and this morning received the following:
Regrettably Edinburgh Police personnel records are both scarce and scanty and as far as I can tell there is no note of your antecedent. One of the only two surviving 19th Century volumes  [ED006/8/2 1815-1859 Edinburgh City Police Establishment Book] does note that a John Christie, collar number 161; Warrant number 2389; Date of Joining 17th August 1898; Age 28; Height 5’8”;  Face oval; Eyes Hazel; Hair Dark Brown; Complexion Fresh; Trade Shoemaker; Married; Country Scotland; was stationed on the 9th November 1858.
I'm resisting the temptation to find out more about this chap  :)
Jen

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Jen. I am hooked,  I think I may follow your example and email Edinburgh Archives.

RBC