Author Topic: Birth or Baptism  (Read 944 times)

Offline honrunt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth or Baptism
« on: Tuesday 15 December 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Mary Cawsey married Robert Hunt 9 May 1708 in Devon.  When and where was she born or baptized?

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth or Baptism
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Honrunt.
Welcome to Rootschat!

It's always a good idea to put in as much information as you have when asking for help.

I presume you mean the marriage of Robert Hunt and MAry Cawsey at Braunton , Devon?
The parish register, available to view on findmypast, gives  no more information about them - their ages, parishes etc. It does not say they are married by licence, so assuming MAry was 21 years old, she would have been born about 1687.

Both familysearch and findmypast give a Mary Causey baptised 7 Jan 1688 at Braunton. Father George, mother Mary.
Also born to George and MAry, Jane, 1686. George 1691, and George 1692. The first George died 1692, and George (dad) would have wanted the next son to carry on his name.
You can see these in the registers on findmypast. If you don't have a subscriptiom, many libraries do, and allow you to access the site for free.

Nothing really comes up for a marriage of a George and MAry.
There is one of a George Chuse and a MAry Lovell at Tiverton in 1685, which is not a million miles away from Braunton. A possibility. 

Happy hunting  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline honrunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.  I do think that the correct spelling is Causey.  I will check on the Chuse/Lovell Wedding.  I do belong to Find My Past.  honrunt

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

I don't think there were any 'correct' spellings in those days - in some parish registers you get the same family spelled different ways within a few years all by the same parish clerk. You have to think 'creatively' these days!! Or use wildcards....

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline honrunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I never thought of that.  I am sure now that you are correct regarding the spelling.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 December 15 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Josey is dead right - there was no such thing as 'correct' spelling.
You just have to think how it might have sounded  - that's why all the genealogy sites have a 'soundex' or 'sounds like' box - which you should always tick!  :D
Remember, most people couldn't read or write, especially as you get further and further back, and their names would have been written down by clerks, or ministers, or lawyers, who might all spell it slightly differently - the person concerned wouldn't know what they were writing, and certainly not whether it was spelt 'correctly'.

Even as recently as 1938, my grandmother's name was 'incorrectly' spelt on her obituary in the newspaper.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline honrunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 December 15 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank You and Happy Holidays!   Honrunt