Author Topic: Parish Records - Neath looking for birth of Gwyneth Elizabeth Davies Jan 1933  (Read 1926 times)

Offline scone

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Records - Neath looking for birth of Gwyneth Elizabeth Davies Jan 1933
« on: Wednesday 16 December 15 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me if parish records or any other records are available for the Neath area.

I'm trying to trace any record on the birth of Gwyneth Elizabeth Davies b. 5th Jan 1933 at Penrhiwtyn Infirmary.  Mother - Miram Davies servant domestic - father unknown.  I have a copy of the birth cert but am trying to find out more information.

The person named on the description of residence is J B Dowers occupier Penrhiwtyn Infirmary Neath.

Also looking for the possible marriage (an assumption) of Miriam to Ivor Rowlands both are named as witnesses to the marriage of Gwyneth in 1950 to William White.

Any help will be appreciated.

:)

Gardiner, Tyler, Tanner, Davis, Jeffries - Bisley/Chalford
Hawkins - Stroud
Hale - Brimscombe
Clayton, Rixon, Ovenden, Hayles - Middlesex
Scriven, Carpenter, Hayward, Ricketts, Greenaway - Wiltshire

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records - Neath
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Ivor M Rowlands married a Miriam Howard in September Qtr 1937 in Neath 11a 1906.
This is the only Ivor Rowlands marriage to a Miriam on freebmd.

From an online tree Miriam was in fact Miriam Davies born 1907 Merthyr Tydfil (parents David & Elizabeth Ann Davies) she married a Charles Howard in 1933 ( Dec qtr 1933 Neath 11a 1966) and had one child.

In 1937 she married Ivor Rowlands (as a widow).  The tree shows that they had  2 children one of which was Gwyneth Elizabeth Davies born 1933.  As you say Gwyneth was born father unknown but this tree has her shown under the marriage of her mother to Ivor Rowlands.

She was a witness at her daughters wedding.

Miriam died in year 2000:

Name   Miriam Rowlands
Birth Date   19 Apr 1907
Date of Registration   Jul 2000
Age at Death   93
Registration district   Neath and Port Talbot
Inferred County   West Glamorgan
Register Number   A68D
District and Subdistrict   8961A
Entry Number   111

There was one daughter born to Miriam & Charles Howard in 1934 Neath (assume it is their child) can't name her here as she may still be alive but you can find her on freebmd.

There is a death of a Charles E Howard March Qtr 1935 Neath 11a 895 (age 47).

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline scone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records - Neath looking for birth of Gwyneth Elizabeth Davies Jan 1933
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for that information it is very interesting and useful  :D it certainly gives me something to go on.  i will have a good search tomorrow.  Do you know of any resources I can access on line.

Hawkins - Stroud
Hale - Brimscombe

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records - Neath looking for birth of Gwyneth Elizabeth Davies Jan 1933
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what you are aware of but the basics are:

www.freebmg.org.uk:  that will lead to both the free births, marriages and deaths; and the freereg (parish registers) site:

here is the results page for the daughter of Miriam & her first husband Charles Howard:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Just put the surname Howard in the surname, Davies in the mothers surname, dob 1934, and district Neath.

Another site with a wealth of information:  www.Familysearch.org

here is the marriage of Miriam to Charles Howard from familysearch:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV84-CR13

Any help you need please ask, if I can't help someone will be able too

Ray

Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Smurph110

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
Just searching the Internet trying to piece together my family history (there are a lot of blanks!) and I've stumbled across this conversation.

I think you may be talking about my family as some of the names and dates fit perfectly. Are you still searching?  I may have the names of other sisters/half brothers to Gwyneth that you have not mentioned here.

I only found out about Gwyneths existence today after speaking with a cousin.  We think that she had a son - might be Rodney? Not completely sure but we think that he may have turned up on my grandmothers doorstep 40 years ago!

Offline scone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Smurph 110

Thank you for your response.  I'm looking into the background of Gwyneth on behalf of her daughter who is a friend of mine and who due to the circumstances of Gwyneth's life and death knows very little about her or her family history. 

The only son she is aware of was born in 1956 and was not named Rodney, she was born 1959 and her two sisters were born 1962 and 1963.  I know she will be very grateful for any information you are able to provide. 

I look forward to your response.   :)
Hawkins - Stroud
Hale - Brimscombe

Offline Smurph110

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
As far as I have managed to gather there were four siblings.  Two have since passed away, one is still alive and one is a family mystery that we know nothing about. 

Gwyneth was the oldest child born to Miriam Davies (who died in 2000) We believe Gwyneth was born in 1933.  Miriam then married Charles Howard in 1934 but Gwyneth was registered as Gwyneth Davies at birth so assume Charles Howard was not her father. 

Miriam and Charles then had one other daughter who is still alive so I'm unable to mention her here.  She was born in 1934 in Glamorgan and married William Thomas who is now deceased.  They had two children who are still alive.

Charles Howard then died in 1935 I believe aged 47.  Miriam then married Ivor Morgan Rowlands in 1937 and had two more children,  Edwina May Rowlands (Born 10 April 1941 died 4th Sept 2000) in Selby North Yorkshire (she was my mother)  and then a son that walked away from the family so I am unable to shed light as I don't know if he is alive or dead so can't mention him on here I'm afraid. 

Ivor Morgan Rowlands died of emphysema (brought on from mining) in 1960. 

Ivor and Miriam lived in Seven Sisters for many years.  Miriams funeral was in Seven Sisters

I think that Miriam and Ivor were witnesses for Gwyneths wedding to a William White in 1950.

It is rumoured that Gwyneth may be Ivor Morgan Rowlands daughter as Miriam and Ivor met long before she married Charles Howard but they were unable to marry each other apparently. We do not know the reasons why - perhaps Ivor was previously married?  This is just guess work though and family speculation. It is not fact.

We do know that Gwyneth went to London.

Miriam's mother (so I assume your friends great grandmother) was Elizabeth Ann Davies born 1881 died 1970 and her father was David Davies Born 1881 in Merthyr.  I believe that they were Baptists so that might have something to do with whole marriage thing.

I'm really sorry that I can not give you all the links.  I'm incredibly new to this so not sure where to point her to.  I do have a new family tree on ancestry.co.uk that I would be happy to share if it's any help.  I will get better at this I'm sure

It is very difficult to discuss this on Rootschat.  If there is a way I can get in touch with your friend away from this site then please don't hesitate to let me know.  I've already been told off once so don't want to blot my copybook even further haha!

I really hope that this helps.
Kindest regards

Clare

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
Now that you have made 3 posts, you can use the Personal Message system to exchange email addresses ;D

See: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

When looking at a post, the username & avatar appears on the left.
Underneath are a series of icons.
Click on the one that shows a document page to access the PM system.
(It's green is the user is online; white if they're offline)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Smurph110

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much KGarrad.

I will get the hang of this eventually  ;D