Author Topic: Query regarding place of birth  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Emma-Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Query regarding place of birth
« on: Thursday 17 December 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Good morning

I am trying to decipher the place of birth given in the attached record. I have done a search for anything around Aberdeen (the families of Prosser and Jaffray lived around the Tarves, Hatton of Fintray area) but can find nothing close. The second part looks like Craigie...

Would anyone be kind enough to have a look and tell me if it makes sense to you? Apologies for my ignorance, this is a new area of my family I am beginning to search and have not had much experience with my Scottish ancestors, as yet.

My thanks

Emma-Jane

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Query regarding place of birth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 December 15 10:57 GMT (UK) »
My OH who is an old Aberdonian - recognises the names of Tarves, Hatton of Fintray and he says there is a "Craigie" "somewhere" out of Aberdeen.  The bit before which looks definitely like "Cassieend" to me, he thinks might be an old version of "Causeway End".. and there was/is? a long street of that name in Aberdeen itself - just off George St. (he used to live in Charles St. - which is close)...   Is this any help?  Or just more confusion?  Good luck.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 December 15 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it'll be a form of 'Causeyend' or 'Causewayend'.

SNAP maggbill, crossed in the ether...
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 December 15 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey,

yes - Snap, it is!!  I always run these Aberdeen questions past my OH - he has a great memory - but mind you, the last time he was in Aberdeen was in 1973!!  Things might just have changed a bit since then lol!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 December 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
But actually, as road names change & places disappear - it is the old memories that are more useful in this respect. I've looked on the old maps on the nls website, can find a Craigie also a Causeyend both N/NW of Aberdeen. .
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Emma-Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 December 15 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello both and thank you!

I was totally at a loss with what that first word might say... now that I have some idea I can scout around and see where it might be.

I shall have a look at the Craigie you mention on the NLS website you mentioned, josey.

My thanks!

Emma-Jane

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 December 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
From the Spalding Club's "Place-names of Aberdeenshire":

Causewayend, Belhelvie, Fintray, New Machar, Old Machar. Also Calsie Croft, Causewayhill, Causewayshade etc. In practically all cases where causeway (pron. cassie) occurs, the place is upon the the line of one of the old roads at a point where a moss was crossed by a "causeway". For instance, where the old Banff road crossed the moss of Perwinnes at Scotstown Moor; or again, on the Old Deer to Crimond road, where there were the muckle and little causeways of Kininmonth.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 December 15 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I see from the IGI that' the extract is from the parish of Tarves.

There are various of places called Craigie all over Scotland, and I agree that it looks like Cassieend and could be Causewayend. This, again, is a name that occurs in various parts of Scotland. There are Causewayends in the parishes of Belhelvie, New Machar, Old Machar, Coupar Angus and Muiravonside besides the street of that name in Aberdeen, and there are almost certainly others. Then there are places called Causeyend in Huntly, Fettercairn and Kilmadock

Normally, if the parents of a child whose baptism is being recorded lives anywhere outside the parish, the record will say, '.... in the parish of xxx'. Therefore unless you have very good reason to think otherwise, you are looking for a place called Causewayend of Craigie in the parish of Tarves. It isn't likely to be a street in the city of Aberdeen, which is several parishes away.

In the 1881 census there is a farm in Tarves called Craigies, about a mile south-west of the village, and two houses at East Craigie and one at Craigie Shethin. These last three are north-east of Tarves village, between the ground of Pitmedden House and the River Ythan.

In 1841 there were several household at Craigies, and half a dozen around Craigie.

Purely on the basis that the Craigie ones seem to be more scattered than those at Craigies, all of which seem to be close together, it seems likely to me that Causeyend was among the places named Craigie rather than at the place called Craigies.

I wonder whether any of the Pitmedden Estate records have survived? If so, I think that's your best bet for finding out more about Causeyend of Craigie. It looks as if the University of Aberdeen Special Libraries and Archives has some archives relating to Pitmedden. See https://www.abdn.ac.uk/library/about/special/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 December 15 18:03 GMT (UK) »
A good place to check is ScotlandsPlaces in the transcribed OS Name Books, seems to be not as well known as it ought to be. There's a Craigie in Tarves: whilst you can search easily, the direct link is www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/aberdeenshire-os-name-books-1865-1871/aberdeenshire-volume-85/71

There is/was a place called Cassiend in/near Old Machar - where the Cassie family lived, here it's obvious that Cassiend is a contraction of Cassie's End. Check out:
https://archive.org/stream/genealogiesofabe00smituoft/genealogiesofabe00smituoft_djvu.txt

I'm not suggesting this is your place, but perhaps if you go looking for Cassie people near Craigie, you might find they lived at Cassieend. The origin of this place seems at least as likely as a contraction of Causewayend.

Also, Cassie stones are the small round pebbles that made up the floors of byres and stables. Causey stones is an alternative - and of course leads to causeway.