Author Topic: Query regarding place of birth  (Read 3802 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Query regarding place of birth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 December 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the National Library of Scotland maps website and look at Roy's Military map from the mid 18th century, Craigie is shown as an area south of Tarves. It has several runrig "fields" and a scatter of buildings.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 December 15 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Well there are two Craigie's and depending on the map a Carigies in the SW (Forfarian) and Carigie in the NE.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400987
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400157

Roy's map is a bit thin for this parish but then it was mapped a 100 years earlier.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 December 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the National Library of Scotland maps website and look at Roy's Military map from the mid 18th century, Craigie is shown as an area south of Tarves. It has several runrig "fields" and a scatter of buildings.

The one south of Tarves is labelled 'Craiges' and I think the ornament on that map (the sub-parallel lines) is intended to indicate a hill, rather than strip or runrig cultivation. This is the farm marked as Craigies on the Ordnance Survey maps.

North of Tarves is 'Craigie', which corresponds to the farm still labelled Craigie on the Ordnance Survey maps.

Incidentally I was typing rubbish when I mentioned Pitmedden. The house and estate in question is of course Haddo, not Pitmedden. There are estate records, including tacks and rentals at Haddo in the National Records of Scotland under reference GD33. See http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 December 15 00:28 GMT (UK) »
IGI does not seem to have this record, but Scotland's People does. 28th May 1772 at Tarves. Interestingly "Roy Highlands 1747 - 52" has Craigie, not Craigies south of Tarves. 

Regards

Malky

Offline Emma-Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 December 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thank you all so much!

Some of the maps are fantastically helpful in getting an overview of the areas and their boundaries.

I think I might have to take a trip up to Aberdeen to get any further.

I know so little about this part of my family but you have all given me much more of an insight. Thank you again!

Emma-Jane

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I think I might have to take a trip up to Aberdeen to get any further.

Stop in Edinburgh on the way and check the Haddo estate papers there first.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emma-Jane,
     Aberdeenshire covers quite a large area with places named Craigie/Craigies in more than one parish. You mention the families lived in the Tarves/Hatton of Fintray areas. Was the 'attached record' in your original post found on ScotlandsPeople and, if so, which parish in Aberdeenshire is this record from?
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 December 15 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Emma-Jane,
     Ahhh, I see 'Forfarian' has already answered my question in Reply 7. Think I need new glasses!
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 December 15 14:45 GMT (UK) »
baptised "... May 28th (YEAR?) witness George Argo ..."
I can see a "George Argo, Cairdseat" in the Aberdeen Journal, 19 Dec 1832 and a "George Argo, Tarves" in the 3 Nov 1847 edition.

There's a Cairdseat farmhouse near Ellon.
What was the baptismal year?

As an aside - in a 1946 newspaper article, headed "Family Tree Detectives " it explained how they began with the clue "Causeway end 16 Nov 1719 at Hether Canchrie" and eventually found the birth details under "Cassie-end, Nether Banchory". (Only reference to "Cassie-end " I can spot).