Author Topic: Nellie Thorpe Milliken(nee Kilpatrick) and her sister Edith Kathleen Baird(nee K  (Read 946 times)

Offline dougieb1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find out about two sisters Nellie Thorpe Milliken(nee Kilpatrick) and her sister Edith Kathleen Baird(nee Kilpatrick)

Nellie was born in Glasgow,Scotland in 1902 and Edith was born in South Africa about 1917.

Nellie and Edith were the daughters of William Kilpatrick and his wife Fanny(nee Thorpe) who emigrated from Scotland to South Africa.

Nellie married a man by the name of Samuel Milliken in South Africa in 1925 and Edith married a man by the name of David Lawson Baird again in South Africa in 1939

Both of their husbands originally came from Scotland.

I am trying to find out what became of them and did they have any children.

Regards,

Doug

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie Thorpe Milliken(nee Kilpatrick) and her sister Edith Kathleen Baird(nee K
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 December 15 09:49 GMT (UK) »
It seems that Nellie's husban died in 1967 in the province of Natal.  This is the Estate Notice in the archives.  The can be useful for finding information on children, where living etc.

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 1766/1967                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MILLIKEN, SAMUEL. BORN IN GLASGOW. S SP MILLIKEN, NELLIE THORPE.     
           BORN KILPATRICK. DECEASED ESTATE.                                   
STARTING  19670000                                                             
ENDING    19680000   

If you want to order a copy you can through www.eggsa.org there is a link on the page that will give you all the info needed.  Their rates are very reasonable.  If you do decide to order, just copy and paste the notice into your email to make sure they get the right file and be sure to specify what info you are looking for as some files can be quite large.                   
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline dougieb1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie Thorpe Milliken(nee Kilpatrick) and her sister Edith Kathleen Baird(nee K
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you 3sillydogs for your reply to my post.

I am doing research for relative in Australia who is trying to find out what became of his late father's cousins who were living in South Africa.

He has been trying to get information for many years but with no luck.

He is not on the internet hence me searching on his behalf.

The sisters also had a brother William Gibb Kilpatrick who was born about 1910 in South Africa.

He believes that William was awarded the DSM in World War 2.

Any help is gratefully received.

Doug

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 16 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Here is the estate file for William.

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 520/1962                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          KILPATRICK, WILLIAM GIBB. BORN IN DURBAN, NATAL. DIVORCEE. DECEASED   
           ESTATE.                                                             
STARTING  19620000                                                             
ENDING    19630000
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline dougieb1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 January 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nookie for your post

I was aware that William Gibb Kilpatrick had passed away in South Africa

This information was given to me by my Australian relative who is trying to find out about his late father's cousins and if they had any family.

William was awarded The Distinguished Service Medal(DSM) when he served in the navy in World War 2.

My relative has been trying to find out about this branch of his family for many years.

He is now in his mid eighties and is  not on the internet hence my reason for  trying to assist him in his search.

Again thank you kindly for your post and as I have said previously any assistance in his search is gratefully received.

Doug   

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 January 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
The notice in the London Gazette of William's DSM: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/36794/supplement/5226/data.pdf

Martin

Offline dougieb1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 16 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank Martin for your post.

My Australian relative had already given me that information.

Again thank you for your interest.

Doug