Author Topic: Coat of Arms & Burke's Landed Gentry, 1965  (Read 6735 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of Arms & Burke's Landed Gentry, 1965
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 December 15 12:22 GMT (UK) »
From The General Armoury of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales (available on Google books):

STANLEY (Longstowe Hall, Co. Cambridge; exemplified to Sidney Wentworth, upon his assuming, by royal licence, 1856, the surname of Stanley, in lieu of Wentworth).
Quarterly, 1st and 4th, azure a saltire between two stags heads caboshed bendwise between two bendlets engrailed argent, for STANLEY.
2nd and 3rd, per chevron gules and sable a chevron nebulee between 2 leopards faces in chief and an escallop in base or, for WENTWORTH

That isn't the same as the Stanley arms you posted before?
Which is argent, on a bend azure, three stags heads caboshed or.

You could use The College of Arms to help you (http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/services/identifying-a-coat-of-arms-or-crest), but they are very expensive! ::)

I would recommend a visit to a library, to see what books they hold on Heraldry?
Unfortunately, my local library is closed until January!!

Just to add:
The Stanley arms identified above would be similar to the Scottish flag (azure a saltire argent) on which would be placed 2 stags heads (caboshed means just the head, face on, no neck visible).
The bendlets engrailed are thin diagonal lines, with a kind of scalloped edges?!

Also, Sidney had to change his name to Stanley, and not Wentworth-Stanley!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 December 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
From The General Armoury of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales (available on Google books):

STANLEY (Longstowe Hall, Co. Cambridge; exemplified to Sidney Wentworth, upon his assuming, by royal licence, 1856, the surname of Stanley, in lieu of Wentworth).
Quarterly, 1st and 4th, azure a saltire between two stags heads caboshed bendwise between two bendlets engrailed argent, for STANLEY.
2nd and 3rd, per chevron gules and sable a chevron nebulee between 2 leopards faces in chief and an escallop in base or, for WENTWORTH

That isn't the same as the Stanley arms you posted before?
Which is argent, on a bend azure, three stags heads caboshed or.

You could use The College of Arms to help you (http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/services/identifying-a-coat-of-arms-or-crest), but they are very expensive! ::)

I would recommend a visit to a library, to see what books they hold on Heraldry?
Unfortunately, my local library is closed until January!!

Just to add:
The Stanley arms identified above would be similar to the Scottish flag (azure a saltire argent) on which would be placed 2 stags heads (caboshed means just the head, face on, no neck visible).
The bendlets engrailed are thin diagonal lines, with a kind of scalloped edges?!

Also, Sidney had to change his name to Stanley, and not Wentworth-Stanley!
Cheers.  I hadn't spotted they're different arms. I'm trying to follow the Stanley arms that Sidney Wentworth was using from his great-uncle Joseph in 1856, who got it from his father Joseph (1728-1789)

Yes, Sidney had to change it to Stanley, but wouldn't drop his Wentworth, so ended up using Wentworth everywhere too. 

It looks like this will go on the back burner until I've a fresh bucket of urgency and energy :)

It's a long job .... not a quick look up. 
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 December 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
It is strange there isn't a readily available tree for Joseph. There doesn't seem to have been any question of him not having the right to bear those arms, so he must have either been able to prove his descent, or the College already had a descent in their records.
I know they don't go as far as the 1700's, but a search of Nottinghamshire's Visitations might prove worthwhile; even surrounding counties. It is not as time consuming as it sounds, and most if not all Visitations can be found at internetarchive.org.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a resemblance to the Stanley (Earls of Derby) coat of arms, but distinctly different?!

The colours are reversed; there's a saltire rather than a bend; 2 stag's heads rather than 3.
Maybe the older Joseph was granted the arms?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a resemblance to the Stanley (Earls of Derby) coat of arms, but distinctly different?!

The colours are reversed; there's a saltire rather than a bend; 2 stag's heads rather than 3.
Maybe the older Joseph was granted the arms?
That might explain why there are no antecedents for Joseph online.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Page 143 of the Nottinghamshire Visitations 1569 and 1614: "Quarterly, 1 and 4, on a bend 3 bucks' heads caboshed; 2 and 3, three cross crosslets fitched and a chief."
Sir Thomas Stanley of the Pipe Knt.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 December 15 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Another thought occurred to me. Have you looked at the will of Joseph, and is there a will for your ancestor Samuel? These could prove informative, especially if they name other relatives, or properties.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 December 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »
And finally for today (my time), here's a bit of reading for you.
http://tinyurl.com/j8dlazc

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 December 15 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Joseph's obituary appeared in the Cambridge Chronicle and Journal, Sat 10 May 1856 under the heading "An Eccentric Character" - helps explain where the money came from.