Author Topic: Redman birth  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Whosthatchick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Redman birth
« on: Friday 18 December 15 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to find out information about my Grandfather's birth, and also about his father.

Lawrence John Henry Redman was born in Durban, South Africa in the years around 1876-1880.   His mother was Agnes Amy (nee Huggins) and his father Henry Redman.   Family stories say Henry was a doctor.

Lawrence came to New Zealand when he was young after the death of his father, with his mother and his sister Rhoda.   In both my father's birth certificate and Laurie's death certificate it states he was born in Durban, but it does not show up in any of the searches I have done.

Can anyone point me to a site where I can get this information?

Many thanks.
Nock, Redman, Taylor, Ward

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Redman birth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 December 15 10:05 GMT (UK) »
In South Africa birth records are not on line, but many baptismal certificates are, and these often list the date of birth as well.

Do you have any idea of which church they might have attended, and where they lived in Durban? If he does not show up on familysearch then the only alternative is to search through baptisms that have been scanned but not yet indexed  :'(  This is really only an option if you have an idea of which Church they might have attended. By having an idea of where in Durban they lived could narrow it down slightly!

Can you not narrow the date of birth down a bit more - possibly records of arrivals in New Zealand?
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Whosthatchick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 15 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nookie.   I have managed to trace Rhoda's birth in 1877 in England, so now have her parents names as well ( I knew my great grandmother's name but not great grandfathers).   In my grandfather's Boer War records (he was part of the NZ battalion) it states his religion as Church of England, so I have searched the Baptism records for all Durban C of E churches.   No luck, unfortunately.   It might have to remain one of life's mysteries!   I also cannot find any records of his father, either death record or medical record, but I am aware that everything might not  be available on websites.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 December 15 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I have found that H Redman, his wife A Redman and a daughter R Redman were on the passenger list for the Balmoral Castle and Dunkeld which arrived in Durban on 13 Dec 1879

Interestingly the surety given was C. Hitchins and A. Huggins - could the latter be a relation of Agnes?

H. Redman was a clerk, so perhaps the family rumours were incorrect  :-[

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Whosthatchick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 December 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Awesome thanks.   Henry, Agnes and Rhoda fit the bill and their arrival date of 1879 would be perfect, as Rhoda was born in 1877.   Agnes had a mother called Ann and a brother called Alexander and given those times, it would probably have been the brother giving surety.

One of the interesting parts of family search is finding the many "family myths" that abound.   I guess in old times they didn't discuss the past they way we do with our children, so these stories grew up and became the "truth" even though there was no intention to tell lies.   The other family story is that Agnes was born in the Channel Islands, but now have a record of her birth in Greenwich and Henry being a clerk would tie in with the fact that we could not find any records of him as a doctor.

I will try the facebook site you suggested.   

Merry Christmas.

Offline Julie Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
 Hello , I am a Huggins relative in New Zealand currently writing a book about them. I have information about Agnes Amy Redman , her ancestors back to 1673 and her siblings who came to NZ in 1886 . She did also with her 2 children and later became Mrs Smythe. I have information about her burial ,several Photos of her, both young and old, and one of her daughter Rhoda . I am a great grand daughter of her Brother Alexander Huggins. I would like to get any information about another brother Bonnie (or Bonny)-- That surely was only a nick name -- who stayed in Durban and possibly had a wife or daughter named Edith . I have photos of them also.

Offline Julie Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 September 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
 Hello Lauries Grandaughter, because I have not yet sent three posts I am not able to PM just yet but I have no problem if you email me on (*). Very excited to hear from you . Agnes Amy Smythe was my Grandmother's (Gertrude Huggins) great aunt. I remember her talking about Aunt "AMY". Looking forward very much to talk and compare notes.  Presuming you are not in NZ as I am   Julie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 September 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Julie,

You are always best not to publish your email address online as this is how spammer pick up on your details and sell them on to other spammers.

Whosthatchick was online yesterday, hopefully they will remain very soon to your post.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Julie Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 September 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
thanyou for your advice Sarah.     whosethatchick and I are hopefully in email contact now      Julie