Author Topic: Alehouse Recognizances lookup, Shropshire Archives  (Read 1041 times)

Offline JonathanD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Alehouse Recognizances lookup, Shropshire Archives
« on: Saturday 19 December 15 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Back in the 1960s, a letter sent from an English relative to my mother's aunt in Ohio, USA stated that the their great-great grandfather's brother "had a coaching inn on the road between Chester and Shrewsbury called Coach & Horses".  I believe the story is true, but they attributed it to the wrong person. 

While researching my Roberts ancestors in Burlton, Shropshire - the parish registers from 1819 onward list my ancestor William Roberts' occupation as "innkeeper" or "victualler".  Seeing that there was a public house just south of Burlton called "Coach & Horses", I realized this story may have applied to him.  However, I cannot find a directory or newspaper online which specifically links my ancestor with Coach & Horses in Burlton.   Since I am in the US, I cannot look for anything in the Shropshire Archives.

If anyone happens to be going to the Shropshire Archives, would they look in the alehouse recognizances to see if William Roberts (1784-1855) appears connected with Coach & Horses in Burlton?

I found this citation in the online catalog for the Shropshire which matches William's appearance in the Loppington parish registers.

XQ/E/2/1/6: Registers of alehouse recognizances: (1822-1828)

Thank you!
Jonathan
Staffordshire: Gibbons (Wolverhampton) Willington (Tettenhall), Jones (Codsall)
Shropshire: Roberts (Ruyton-XI-Towns, Burlton), Jones (Cleobury North), Challenger (Wistanstow), Birch (Newport, Chetwynd), Cartwright (Cheswardine), Yevily (Albrighton near Shrewsbury), Beech (Shawbury).

Family of Alfred and Annie Gibbons Jones, from Birmingham, England to Chagrin Falls, Ohio (1907)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alehouse Recognizances lookup, Shropshire Archives
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 December 15 20:21 GMT (UK) »
The Shrewsbury Chronicle, 2 Nov 1838 advertised a meeting of  "Landholders and Landholders agents within the Township of Burlton, in the Parish of Loppington ..... (to) be held at the house of William Roberts, known by the name of the Hart Inn in the said Township...."

Offline JonathanD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Alehouse Recognizances lookup, Shropshire Archives
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that excerpt from the Shrewsbury Chronicle.  Despite searching many different ways, for some reason that eluded me :)

I have been able to find other notices in the Chronicle as well as the Chester newspapers to determine that the public house was known as the "Golden Heart Inn" before it was sold in 1838 and later became the Coach & Horses. 

Staffordshire: Gibbons (Wolverhampton) Willington (Tettenhall), Jones (Codsall)
Shropshire: Roberts (Ruyton-XI-Towns, Burlton), Jones (Cleobury North), Challenger (Wistanstow), Birch (Newport, Chetwynd), Cartwright (Cheswardine), Yevily (Albrighton near Shrewsbury), Beech (Shawbury).

Family of Alfred and Annie Gibbons Jones, from Birmingham, England to Chagrin Falls, Ohio (1907)