Author Topic: Looking for Cormack family Renfrewshire  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Salsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Born in Scotland - Tracing Scottish history
    • View Profile
Looking for Cormack family Renfrewshire
« on: Sunday 20 December 15 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my mother told me today my grandfather on my fathers side was in fact adopted. His mother worked in a hotel and her maiden name was Cormack. She gave her child up for adoption to the hotel owners she worked for. They were McDonald's. Anyone know of Cormack family in Renfrewshire ? Or where we could start to look for any info? Many thanks!
Cormack

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Cormack family Renfrewshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 15 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Salsay,

you need to provide more info. such as his name, birth date & possible birth place name in Renfrew?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 15 09:07 GMT (UK) »
You need to purchase your father's birth cert. to begin with which will provide his name & marriage details.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Salsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 15 10:24 GMT (UK) »
His name was Norman Alexander McDonald, born around 1920 - He was yeoman of the signals in the royal navy....stationed in malta in the fifties. Married Margaret Lumsden McFarlane of Paisley. Died in New Zealand in around 1990. Will try to find more info by searching on my fathers birth certificate.
Cormack

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 December 15 11:19 GMT (UK) »
There is 1 match on www.scotlandspeople.gov for a Norman McDonald 1920-1921 Renfrewshire unfortunately images of statutory births only go up to 1914 so you would need to order the birth certificate ...I'm assuming he was registered under the McDonald name as I could not see anything under the name Cormack ..Maybe there was some connection to the McDonald family when the mother gave him up for adoption ...
Rosie

Offline Salsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Cormack family st Georges Road, Glasgow 1920's
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 October 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Anybody have any knowledge or information? My Great Grandmother was Margaret Cormack born around 1900's. Had my grandfather in 1921. Her father was a Hotel proprietor.
Cormack

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Cormack family st Georges Road, Glasgow 1920's
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 October 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
You need to look here:

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The index is free to search.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 October 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
Is this the same person in your other thread, as there you say she worked in a hotel and adopted out her son to the hotel owners.

Threads merged.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Salsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 October 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
Yes it is, I now have my grandfathers birth certificate and more information for looking. Ive been searching the census and there are so many Cormack families with Margarets in Glasgow at the time, im struggling to know how to narrow it down and hoping maybe there are folks on here with knowledge of the family.

Ive narrowed it down finally she was born in 1886 in St Nicholas, Aberdeen. I found her birth certificate. Her father was John Cormack and mother Jessie Cormack (nee Mitchell)

My grandfather was adopted / brought up by a different family called McDonald. I'd still love to know the story of the Cormacks.
Cormack