Author Topic: Indexed Register of Electors for Kent  (Read 564 times)

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Indexed Register of Electors for Kent
« on: Sunday 20 December 15 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know if there is an online indexed Register of Electors for Kent, the same as is available on Ancestry for Surrey?

I am searching for the whereabouts of my great uncle, who was Ralph Percy Whitney.  He was a Headmaster in various schools in Surrey up until 1939.  He then disapears and I know he died in Goudhurst in Kent in 1951.  I contacted a lady in Goudhurst, who checked the Reg of Electors for me and she said that he had only lived at 'Beverley' North Road, Goudhurst for about a year.  As I have managed to trace all of his career up to 1939, I would love to know where he went from Oxted School, Surrey.  I live in Lincolnshire, so not able to get to local archives and such.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Diana
Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Indexed Register of Electors for Kent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted the school, it was only started in 1929 so they may have records, especially if he was the head

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Indexed Register of Electors for Kent
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 15 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jolee, my great uncle started at Oxted School in January 1916.  Surrey Records Office don't have the school log, but do have the punishment book, which Ralph Percy has signed and they said that his signature disappears in 1939, when he most probably left there.  I think he went somewhere in Kent, but was not teaching in the school in Goudhurst where he lived, as I have had someone check for me.  I think from what I was told, that he only lived at his address in Goudhurst for about a year, according to the Electoral Rolls, which were checked for me by a lady in Goudhurst, so with no Kent indexed Register of Electors, like there is for Surrey, I am stuck.
Surrey Records office say they have some school records for Oxted School, but not it seems for the period that I need and I am not able to get there from Lincolnshire where I live, as my husband is in very poor health and can't be left.  There is also 100 years disclosure on all school records now, so a lot of them you are not allowed to see.
Thank you for your interest.
Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.