Author Topic: Where to look for records for old Councillors in Maesteg  (Read 1617 times)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where to look for records for old Councillors in Maesteg
« on: Sunday 20 December 15 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I wondered if anyone knows where any records my be for old Council papers.  My great grandfather was once Chairman of Urban District Council.  The only info is scant oral remarks from my grandfather and the enclosed obituary of his first wife.   His name was Philip Jones, spelt with one 'L' not two in the obituary.   My grandfather said there was a plaque in his honour somewhere.  I phoned the Town Hall and was told they don't have any plaques, so maybe on a miners' club house or other.   He was born 1870, the obituary is for 1927, just a year after the General Strike.

Any leads would be much appreciated, thanks.
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where to look for records for old Councillors in Maesteg
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 15 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry this is rather large,  I'll try another - no sorry can't reduce size.
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I think the logical place to check would be in:

http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?inst_id=33&coll_id=1780&expand=

So Glamorgan Archive Office in Cardiff, methinks...

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bernard, my step father had been looking around Bridgend library for the obit above.  I am unable to travel and live in England for my sins.

Least I now know where they are and that there are many.   Maybe oneday someone I  know might be able to have a look there.   Here is link to the council records - quite a few there, thanks very much.  Steven

http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?coll_id=1780&inst_id=33&term=Maesteg%20%28Wales%29%20|%20Urban%20District%20Council%20|%20Archives

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi mothball, the town hall in Maesteg (lovely as it is), probably isn't the right place for your search - you'd be better off contacting the council office, also on Talbot Street in Maesteg. It's a seperate building where the council meetings were/are held.

I know this post is a few years old, but I'm not sure if you'd gotten any further. It's been a long time since I've been in the offices, so I can't remember if there were any plaques inside.

Failing that, there is the miners library in Nantyfyllon, which is still in use, possibly as some sort of community centre. The miners library in Caerau burned down (more than once) around the 1980's - I lived opposite the shell of it before they eventually pulled it down (Library Road, Caerau).

I'm not 100%, but I don't recall a miners institute or library in either Maesteg or Garth, but I've never had the need to look for them either.
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the added info.  I'm afraid my step is no longer able to do any more, I can't travel.  As I posted the only evidence I have that he was a Chair of the council was in his first wife's obituary.

I think I'll have to leave it there as there doesn't seem much online info on South Wales, though I later found out this was about the time the Labour Party threw out Maesteg for being hand in hand with the Communist Party.  One wonders.

Steven

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Next time I get a day off in the week, I'll pop back to Maesteg and see if the offices are open - they have the Citizens Advice Bureau office in there, so there's a chance it'll be open.

Failing that, I'll speak to my stepfather later when I'm up there - he was a councillor in Maesteg for years, so he might have noticed some plaques
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 September 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much very kind of you.   He was living at Hermon Road up to around 1928 and then Bryn Terrace, Cymmer later on.

Steven