Author Topic: Can someone help me find Emily / Emma Burlington?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Can someone help me find Emily / Emma Burlington?
« on: Sunday 20 December 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am looking for the birth registration for a girl named Emily Burlington, also known as Emma and Emmie. She was born 1899/1900 in Ireland, but sadly I cannot be any more specific than that. As Emily, she is 1 year old on the 1901 census, living in Springburn, Glasgow with her parents William James Burlington and Elizabeth Burlington née Brown, their mother-in-law Elizabeth Jane Brown, and two boarders. As Emmie, she is 11 years old on the 1911 census, living in Dennistoun, Glasgow - again with her parents. On this census her place of birth is given as Glasgow, but I would put this down to error as I have trawled ScotlandsPeople for any possible birth records, and the only match I can find is her cousin Emily Burlington, born in Holytown in 1901. These are certainly different people.

William and Elizabeth were married in 1895 in Ballymena, Antrim and their daughter Emily - using the name Emma - married a man named James Milne in 1921 in Glasgow. After that, I have no idea what happened to her, although it is likely she married a man named Arthur Smith in 1941 in Glasgow - James Milne having died in 1939.

I have scoured GRONI for a suitable Burlington birth in the Ballymena or Coleraine areas, but sadly to no avail. I've searched irishgenealogy.ie and there's nothing there either.

I would really like to know where and when Emily was born and what happened to her after her likely marriage to Arthur Smith. My guess is that they moved down south to England and so, with names as common as theirs, I'll probably never be able to find them.

As for the birth... I am out of ideas.

Any thoughts?
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone help me find Emily / Emma Burlington?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Not yours BUT 1901 Census some England born ones here...  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gpg/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 15 17:05 GMT (UK) »

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I have the 1901 and 1911 census records for her, I just don't know where/when she was born or what happened to her after her (first?) husband died. :(

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 December 15 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Was thinking outside the square... you have scoured GRONI for a suitable Burlington birth in the Ballymena or Coleraine area... so these are where Burlingtons were on Census!!

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 December 15 17:48 GMT (UK) »
A lot of William's family had moved to Glasgow by 1901. His brother Joseph's family lived in Holytown, and they had several children in Ballymena, and then in Glasgow after the move.

William had two children later with his second wife (one of whom is still alive) but Emily will have been born in Ireland and is long dead, but I have no idea where. Going by the census records, it must be 1899/1900.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 December 15 17:53 GMT (UK) »
She might not have been registered as Emily or Emma- have you also checked for 'female' births? and have you considered alternative spellings of the surname? (Bellingham, for example)

It may be that the birth wasn't registered if they moved to Scotland shortly after the child was born so that your next search might have to be church records in hope of finding a baptism.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, I've tried that. I don't know what else to search for on GRONI, as you can't search without a surname. I've tried Burlington, a few versions of it (such as starting with Bur-), Brown, etc.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 08:32 GMT (UK) »
You can search without a surname in the civil registration index at www.familysearch.org
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!