Author Topic: Can someone help me find Emily / Emma Burlington?  (Read 5102 times)

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone help me find Emily / Emma Burlington?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 January 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
@hallmark

Sorry for the delayed reply... I *think* I might have seen that whilst browsing birth records, but I'm not 100%. His wife was named Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Brown, so I'm not sure who Maud (?) Burlington would be.

I'm afraid I can't read most of the writing, so I've no idea how likely a match it could be.
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 March 17 17:12 GMT (UK) »
@aghadowey

Yes, I already have William & Lizzie's birth, marriage and death records. I also now have two marriage records for Emma Burlington; (1) to James Milne in 1921 and (2) to Arthur Smith in 1941. I haven't yet been able to find a death for either Emma or Arthur, however.

The Emily Burlington born in Holytown in 1901 was the daughter of Joseph Burlington and Helen Pickett -- Joseph was William's brother, therefore Emily and 'Emma' would have been first cousins.

At this point, I would tend to agree that 'Emma' was probably adopted in some capacity, and was not the biological daughter of William James Burlington and Lizzie Brown. They didn't have any other (surviving) children together as far as I can tell, so I wonder if perhaps Lizzie could not have children.

It would be great to find out when and where Emma and Arthur died, but at this point I do not anticipate being able to ever find Emma's record of birth; there is definitely nothing for her under the name(s) she used as an adult in either Ireland or Scotland. Assuming she was born under a different name, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Offline Emtro

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 March 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  My name is Emily and I was named for my grandmother Emily Burlington Hume Watson born in Holytown in 1901! She was born Emily Burlington but was adopted by James and Isabelle Hume. She married Robert Watson. We have heard several stories regarding her background but have never been able to trace her birth family as we had no information about them. Do you think this is the person you’re trying to find. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Em

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 March 19 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emily, and thank you for your reply!

I suspect we're talking about different people, but you never know. Did your Emily Burlington emigrate to Canada at some point? I haven't dug into this research for a good year or two so I'm a bit hazy now, but I have a feeling the Emily who married a Watson was in Canada at some point.

I have a copy of a birth certificate for an Emily Burlington born 1901 Holytown to Joseph Burlington and Helen Burlington née Pickett, married 1894 Derry, Ireland. Is this your grandmother? I can't tell you anything about the adoption, sadly, but if you're sure about her birth name, year and place, then that's probably her, and so those would be the names of your great-grandparents.

The Emily/Emma Burlington I am looking for would (possibly) have been adopted by William James Burlington and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Burlington née Brown. They married in 1895 in Ballymena, Ireland. I have never been able to find a record of birth for her, either in Scotland or Ireland, and so I think there's a good chance she was adopted, or possibly even a foundling of some sort. It's impossible to know for sure, though, and I've never been able to trace any of Emily's descendents. She married twice that I know of, and although I was able to find a daughter born in 1942, she has since passed away.

I'd need to look back through my research, but I know that the Burlingtons were a large family and several of their children (who were therefore cousins) used many of the same names, and so I have a feeling that your grandmother and the Emily I am looking for were first cousins, as William and Joseph Burlington were brothers. Off the top of my head there was another brother, John, who appears with William and his family on the 1901 Glasgow census.

A lot of these people came over from Ireland around the turn of the century, and a lot of these families inter-married with one another. If I can help you in any way then of course I will, but aside from remembering something about Canada I'm afraid I don't have any details for you, other than I do recall seeing your Emily on a 1901 or 1911 census with some other Burlingtons, as I came across her once or twice whilst searching for the other Emily. However, if you choose to delve into this then be careful, as you don't want to confuse her with her cousin of the same name who appears on census records alongside William & Lizzle Burlington. They were around the same age and appear to have lived in the same area of Glasgow, but I do not believe they were the same girl.

If you ever happen to stumble across a record of birth for an Emily Burlington with parents' names William Joseph and Elizabeth then please let me know, as so far I'm drawing a blank.

How far have you managed to get with your research? I assume you have your grandmother's marriage certificate, but that it lists her adopted parents?