Author Topic: Looking for a pair of WW1 memorial medallions ('death pennies')  (Read 3830 times)

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for a pair of WW1 memorial medallions ('death pennies')
« on: Sunday 20 December 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

This is very likely to be in vain, but I am nonetheless trying to find the memorial medallions for two of my grandfather's brothers who died in the First World War. These are also known as death pennies or dead men's pennies. There is an article here, which also provides a photograph of one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Plaque_(medallion)

The names in question are:

John Bernard Eighteen (died 25/06/1917)
Henry Thomas Eighteen (died 24/11/1916)

I'm not interested in replicas or custom-made designs, I am simply trying to find out if - by some miracle - one or both of them are in a box in someone's attic or something.

Thank you,

James
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a pair of WW1 memorial medallions ('death pennies')
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked with absolutely everyone in the family? If no one still has them they might have a story about what happened to them. (my father's military badges, etc. were given to my mother's nephew rather than any of us children)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Most of those who are still alive and likely to have got hold of them, yes, although I might fire off some more e-mails in the week. A second cousin of mine has been searching for them for some time, and he's checked eBay and whatnot, but obviously has had no success as of yet.

The old family home was demolished when much of the Newtown area of Reading was renovated in the 70s, and sadly it seems that not everything has survived that particular episode. I do know of several heirlooms still in the family, but at present the two medallions are unaccounted for -- or at least, if someone does have them, they're either unaware of it or have not told anyone.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi James18, bit of a long shot but have you tried this Facebook group?
 "British War Medals & Badges For Sale".

It could be worth having a look at them and perhaps posting on it.

Best of luck with your quest.

Frank.

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 December 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Frank. I checked the group and searched for the surname, but got no results. It was always a long shot, but certainly a very good idea!

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 December 15 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi James do you know for certain they had them, i dont know if they worked in the same way as the war medals but a lot of people never claimed the medals,my son -inlaw had been trying for years to see where his Great Uncles Medals had gone ,only for me to discover that his medals had never been claimed by his sister when he was killed so dont know if the Death Penny was the same.
                                                            Colin.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 December 15 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Memorial Plaques were sent to the last known address of the soldier's next of kin. If they were returned by the GPO they were kept for an while and then melted down. No records of the issuing of memorial plaques have survived.

You should start with the relatives living at the home of the soldier's NoK (or nearby) when they died. Or with the informant on the death certificate of the NoK. If the NoK had not gifted them to a relative, it was usually a case of who got to the house first!

Only officers had to claim their medals. Other ranks' medals were automatically sent to the last known address of their NoK except when the soldier had written a will leaving his effects to someone other than his NoK. The return of medals was covered by Kings Regulations. If they were returned they were kept for ten years before being melted down. If a medal was returned to the medal office the fact was recorded on the medal index card.

Ken

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 December 15 17:36 GMT (UK) »
So Ken when it states Medals not claimed why would it say that if he was not an officer, i have seen cards saying medals returned, but his says medals not claimed.
                                              Colin.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 December 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Without his name, rank and regiment I cannot comment

Ken