Author Topic: Looking for a pair of WW1 memorial medallions ('death pennies')  (Read 3828 times)

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a pair of WW1 memorial medallions ('death pennies')
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 December 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
KEN he was George W Fernie, Able Seaman Howe Batt, Clyde /z6019. Buried in Troon Cemetery.His records are at Air Fleet Arms. He was hit by a rifle grenade in France. He was brought back to a Hospital in England cant remember name but it is on records ,he was recovering well in hospital and they decided to operate on his right hand  ,but when he was given the Anesthetic it turned out he was allergic to it and he died in the operating theatre.
                                              Colin.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

So he was RN. I do not know enough about RN WW1 medals to say if they had an index card system like the army. The original National Archives medal rolls which gives B&W cards for six men at a time is supposed to include RND soldiers. But he is not listed. The coloured cards on Ancestry do not. But maybe someone with Ancestry can check that.

The army use the card to summarize the movement of the medals and includes details if the GPO failed to deliver. So you need to find his medal card.

If you do not get help on here I would ask on the Great War Forum if there is another source for RND cards. Or of any other examples of RND soldiers dying in the UK and not getting their medals.

I see that his NoK was his sister. Maybe she did not know that he was entitled. It would have been four years after her brother's death when the medals were sent out. If the navy sent them to her last known address and they were returned, she maybe did not know she had ten years to claim. Was she still at the same address in 1920? I see she was single while he served.

btw...Findmypast have him listed under "died at Sea". They have another transcription - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2frnd%2f2980 - that says he died in a Nottingham military hospital.

Ken

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken, the information that we got regarding the medals never having being claimed was from the Great War Forum, I was gobsmacked when my wife who is a member on the GWF told me it stated they were never claimed or posted out, if you are a member on there go to the Royal Navy section look for the post Howe Batt posted by Mysie i think the post was around Nov 13th and all the information is there.Nottingham hospital is what it says, but he was in there for a while before his fatal operation. There was another G Fernie who is on the Troon Memorial but no relation and he is not buried in Troon.It appears George W Fernie was very well known not only in Troon Golf Club as a Golf Club Maker but he was well known at other golf clubs due to the Open Golf Tournament.
                                                        Colin.

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry i will need to check with son -inlaw regarding if she ever married ,or whether she moved house
                                                Colin.

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 December 15 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask where you chaps are looking up these names, for the relevant information?
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 December 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi regarding George W Fernie , my wife posted on the Great War Forum and kind members looked up the various sites that have access to records . I took out a months subscription to Forces Records and it gives George's Hospital records and service record details on them.

Colin.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 17:20 GMT (UK) »
James,

According the the "Register of Soldiers Effects" everything was signed for by their Parents, In all likelihood they would have received any medals or gratuities that were due!?

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, thanks for that. Where can I view this register? Just curious where you read that. They probably did get the medals, it's just a case of what happened to them between then and now.
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there is a register for the Bad Pennies, I got that information from the "Registers of Soldiers Effects" on a well known family history website (A******y).

Have you tried posting a request on the "British Medal Forum" to see if anybody there can help?

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd