Author Topic: Farrell & Heffernan in Jersey  (Read 1360 times)

Offline TerriC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Farrell & Heffernan in Jersey
« on: Monday 21 December 15 03:42 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the family of Daniel Farrell and Margaret Heffernan who were living in St Helier between what looks like 1808 and 1824......although the time span is long, it appears that this is when their children were born:
Mary 1808; Daniel 1817; Edward 1821; Richard 1822 and William 1824.
Mary was baptised at St Thomas's, and the other children at St Mary's & St Peter's.
I'm not 100% confident that Mary's parents are the same as the other children, but the chances of 2 Daniel Farrell/Margaret Heffernan couples having children in St Helier at a similar time is pretty slim, I guess.
I'm descended from Mary (b 1808).
If anyone is researching the same family, or has any suggestions for how I can clarify what's going on here, I'd be grateful!
Cheers,
Terri
Collis, McKinley, Walsh, Griffin, Thirkill, Stephenson, Turner, O'Connor, McEwin, Grant, Woodburn, Bright, Farrell, Daniel, Nash, Simpson, Collins, Delaney, Blanchfield, Bell

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farrell & Heffernan in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 16 15:30 GMT (UK) »
St Thomas' is known locally as the French church and St Mary and St Peter as the Irish church. In the early 1800s Catholicism was only just becoming established in Jersey so I'd guess that when Mary was born St M and St P wasn't operational.

According to an entry on the Jersey Archive site Daniel sometimes used the name Hefferman/Heffernam.

6/8/1949 Farrall, Margaret née Hefferman, wife of Farrall alias Hefferman, age 61 from Dublin, Tralee (someone's geography was a bit hazy) Hospital admission for illness.

4/8/1851 Hafferman, Margaret, wife of Daniel Farrell, age 64, from Ireland. Hospital admission for illness.

1/10/1852 Farrell, Margaret née Hasserman, wife of Daniel Farrell, age 69, from Ireland. Workhouse admission for indigence.

31/8/1853 Farrell, Margaret née Haffernan, widow of Daniel Farrell, age 70 from Ireland. Workhouse admission for indigence.

There is a Daniel Hefferman living with Robert and Mary Rught (Bright) on the 1841 census and in 1828 Mary Farrell married Robert Bright. This Mary was born c1808.

Offline TerriC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 16 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!
Interesting about the 2 churches......perhaps there were additional siblings between Mary (1808) and Daniel (1817) and their baptisms "got lost" as the Irish church began operating.
Yes - the May who married into the Bright family is this Mary b. 1808. She's my ancestor.
May I ask where you found the Jersey archive entries? Was it online somewhere? And what actual record was it - a hospital register? I'd like to be able to reference it correctly.

Cheers,
Teresa
Collis, McKinley, Walsh, Griffin, Thirkill, Stephenson, Turner, O'Connor, McEwin, Grant, Woodburn, Bright, Farrell, Daniel, Nash, Simpson, Collins, Delaney, Blanchfield, Bell

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The Jersey Archive catalogue is on-line at www.jerseyheritage.org and the entries are all in the same hospital admissions register covering the period 1849-1855, catalogue reference D/AN/B11/1.
The register has been transcribed, you need a subscription to see the PDF or you can pay a fee (£5 I think) to download the document.

Offline TerriC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 16 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant - thanks  :)