Author Topic: William Bennett - approx 1850 or later to 1900?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William Bennett - approx 1850 or later to 1900?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Ah! Now, with some names to work on, it gets much easier.

The quality of information on Family Search is variable. The Community Indexed IGI is reasonably reliable as far as it goes, which is to about 1874, but it isn't complete. The Community Contributed IGI and all transcriptions and family trees should be regarded with caution if not suspicion. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0 for a fuller discussion of this.

A bit of fiddling with the index at Scotland's People reveals that Henry Duncan Bennett and Maggie Bella Mitchell were married in Aberdeen in 1917. If you download a copy of that marriage certificate from SP (which will cost less than a cup of coffee) it will tell you the full names of both sets of parents, including their mothers' maiden names.

Use that information, and the price of two more cups of coffee, to find the marriage certificates of Henry's and Maggie's parents, and you should then have the names of all four sets of grandparents, and you will have got far enough back to be able to use the Community Indexed IGI on Family Search.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Fully agree with you.  Know that some of the information on Family Search is false but it does depend where you get the information from.  Have sent the information to Norman & will see if he replies.

I am having trouble getting onto Scotland's People site.  Originally used my old email address to subscribe but now not sure whether it was the MTS or Hotmail account.  As my computer broke down about the time of my stroke have no idea.  Tried different ways of getting back on, but they have failed me.  Do you have any suggestions - and no, am not sure what address I was using back then.  Memory from that time is dim.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there is a contact us link at the bottom righthand side of scotlandspeople's page. Have you tried to message them? It is the username & password you need to recall. Once in, the email address can be updated. You would have received a confirmation email when you registered with scotlandspeople. Did you save a copy of it? Failing this you can reregister under a new username & password but obviously you will not be able to see your previous searches. I am pleased to hear you are feeling better after your stroke & are able to resume your researching again.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 22:19 GMT (UK) »
No, I am not sure whether I used my full name or L. Syrnick or???  Now try to keep all the ones used written down. Also cannot recall whether my called name was *(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

or something like that or whether it was another one with MTS at the end.

Now am using the same email & refusing to change it but that doesn't help me with this one.  Will try contacting them.  Believe I had the stroke in 2008 but could be wrong about that too.  It is most annoying but will try contacting them & explaining my position.  Thank you so much
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, thank you.  This is the first time I found a place to put a question.  Have sent them an enquiry so should hear within 3 days.  Most grateful to you both.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Ah! Now, with some names to work on, it gets much easier.

A bit of fiddling with the index at Scotland's People reveals that Henry Duncan Bennett and Maggie Bella Mitchell were married in Aberdeen in 1917. If you download a copy of that marriage certificate from SP (which will cost less than a cup of coffee) it will tell you the full names of both sets of parents, including their mothers' maiden names.

Indeed Forfarian,

A couple of names & dates can make all the difference.

Like the paraphrase
, you couldn't put it better  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Moderator:

Thank you, never even thought of that.  Am rather careful not to put my address on-line but guess I inadvertently did so.  Thank you so much for removing it.