Author Topic: Blacksmith in Brandon Manitoba  (Read 3216 times)

Offline sss65

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blacksmith in Brandon Manitoba
« on: Tuesday 22 December 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am trying to find more information regarding my friends father Norman William Cranmer born 20.5 1898, Shottery Stratford on Avon England UK.  He is recorded as sailing from Liverpool  to St John, New Brunswick, Canada on 7.4.1921  on Canadian Pacific Steam Ship 'Melita' and returning to Liverpool on 14 April 1923 on the ship 'Montcalm'. We do not know why he went to Canada although we think he was still in the army as we have found a photo of him working there as a blacksmith.
He was recorded as visiting a family friend J H Coats in Brandon Manitoba - 159 10th Street East?
we are trying to find out why he was there for such a short time and who J H Coats is as we have no record of a relative by this name.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Blacksmith in Brandon Manitoba
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 00:11 GMT (UK) »
According to Henderson's Brandon Directory 1921 - Herbert Coates, John Coates, and John Jr. Coates lived at 159 10th St E. in Brandon. Herbert and John Jr. were employed by McDiarmid & Clark (sash and door company) and John was a bricklayer. They are listed on page 143 or the directory.

http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/3176.16.html
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 00:30 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1921 Canada Census the following people lived at 149 10th Street East in Brandon Manitoba. The family had immigrated to Canada in 1910:

John Coates - age 57 - occupation Mason / Bricklayer
Ines Coates - age 56
Herbert Coates - age 23
Ernest Coates - age 21
John Coates - age 18
Frank Coates - age 16
Ada Coates - age 14

Not sure if this link works for you, but this is the page on the 1921 census:

Manitoba / Brandon / Sub-District 33 - Brandon (City) / image 32 of 36

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gq0/
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker

Offline sss65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 December 15 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this  - I really appreciate the help. I now need to find out how they are related to the Cranmer's in England- I am looking for the records of when they went to Canada - maybe have an address as to where they came from?

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 December 15 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I've been doing a bit of looking into travel records and also wondered if they could be found in the 1901 UK census. No luck so far but I haven't had much time either. Wondered if they could have been friends or neighbours.

Good luck with your search  :)

sami

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 December 15 21:28 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census at 24 Coronation St, Barnard Castle has the family shown on the attached.  I found the obituary for John Harold Coates in the Brandon Sun.  He died on 19 Nov 1972 in Vancouver BC, but buried in Brandon Municipal Cemetery.  The obituary listed his surviving siblings as Herb, George, Frank, Emily & Ada which matches the 1911 census perfectly.  The obit also said the family came to Canada in 1912.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 December 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
The same Coates family were also in Barnard Castle, County Durham in the 1901 census.

Offline sss65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 December 15 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Manawakian- I now have to try to find a link between the Coates family and the Cranmer family from Shottery in Stratford in Warwickshire England UK?

:D :D

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 December 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it helps any but on John Coates 1972 BC Death Registration it gives his mother's name as Hannah BAILEY. Perhaps the connection is through her.

sami  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gq7/