Author Topic: Help searching for Baptism of John Aitchison born Carham Northumberland 1801  (Read 1707 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Help searching for Baptism of John Aitchison born Carham Northumberland 1801
« on: Wednesday 23 December 15 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
John Aitchison born Carham Northumberland I am hoping to find his Birth/Baptism and parents as of yet unknown. Appears born Carham on two census and Shildon Northumberland on the 1871 census before his death in 1876.
Children
George son 1831 Felton Northumberland
Mary 1834 b Hassall Durham
John 1836 b Monk Wearmouth Northumberland
James 1844
Isabella 1846
Sarah A 1853
William A 1856
Any help most appreciated.
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Help searching for Baptism of John Aitchison born Carham Northumberland 1801
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can you tell us who/where/when John married please & occupation as others may be able to identify him with extra info.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help searching for Baptism of John Aitchison born Carham Northumberland 1801
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Married or maybe not Sarah Alder as marriage not found yet. I do have another post that may help
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=737550.msg5835824#msg5835824
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking through the Bishops Transcripts? Hopefully this will take you to the pages you need. P

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-64V3-NBV?owc=collection%2F1309819%2Fwaypoints&wc=9K5S-4WB%3A13617901%2C16981801%2C16981802%3Fcc%3D1309819&cc=1309819
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link, am I being a bit thick here? No don't answer that  ::) couldn't see anything, do I have to order and view at one of the centres? It looks pretty amazing even though there are gaps.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Click on the county of NORTHUMBERLAND, then the town of CARHAM, and then the date 1762 - 1866, and you should find yourself at page 1 at the very beginning of the book. The images you should see are the actual scanned pages of the real books. You will have to make you way through them either page by page or in the top left of the screen you can input a page number to jump through the books. Initially you should see Page 1 of 203 in the top left
 corner.

I hope that makes sense and gets you into the books.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 December 15 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Morning P,
Thank you so much, I got searching last night for a couple of hours, by luck I found baptisms 1800 straight away, 1800 to 1801 January through to May no sign and then no more till 1803 will check again, I have no siblings yet so will search for some going on names of John children. I have no way of knowing if John was first born so will be hard to find a marriage for his parents but there are plenty there, found one for a Thomas and Barbara but as Johns first born was George and no Thomas in the family I think it unlikely. I shall carry on searching, it so addictive, just such an amazing find, didn't know it existed, clever you. Thank you.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 03:21 GMT (UK) »
I have a transcript of Carham.  There were only 7 baptisms is 1801 and 1802 and none Aitchison or Atkinson.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to look for me. I have checked the four census I have all consistent 1801 Carham except the 1871 which gives Shildon, Northumberland and the 1841 census is Durham states born of the county. Looks like the preverbal 'Brick Wall'