Author Topic: Looking for more information on the Ogilvie family in Jersey  (Read 971 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for more information on the Ogilvie family in Jersey
« on: Wednesday 23 December 15 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the marriage of Isabella Fowler and George Ogilvie and trying to find what happened to their four children.
Isabella Fowler was born in Gosport on 21 Oct 1802, her father was in the Royal Artillery subsequently being posted to Ireland, Tilbury and finally Jersey.

I have found baptisms for three children Bertha Isabella 1831 (no godparents listed), Fitzwilliam Willcock Simmonds 1833 (godparents John Willcock and Frances Simmonds) and Bertha Isabella Frederica 1836 (godparents Capt John Blackall and Elizabeth Fowler). All in St Helier.
Frances Simmonds is the wife (or widow by that time of Lt Thomas Simmonds RN) and is Isabella's sister. I think John Willcock is John Fort Pike Willcock who marries Frances a few years later. Elizabeth Fowler is the wife of Charles Fowler, Isabella's brother (my direct ancestors)

A George Ogilvie was convicted of larceny in 1848 and sentenced to 2 years hard labour. In a letter from his guardian appealing for a pardon for him he refers to him being the son of Major George Ogilvie and being about 10 when his father died in 1839 /40 on his way to India.
So there is an older brother to the three children, George jnr born about 1829/30.
Both George and Fitzwilliam joined the merchant navy and both list their pob as Jersey

Isabella died in 1839, so the remaining three children (presuming first Bertha died) would have been orphans on 1841 census.

Can anyone please help find George and Isabella's marriage, baptism of George jnr, and the children on the 1841 census.
I have looked on Jerripedia and Jersey Heritage. I have only just joined JH and finding my way around the site is slow progress so I may have missed them.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for more information on the Ogilvie family in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 18:15 GMT (UK) »
just found them in 1841, Ogilvie mispelt.
They are with Isabella's two sisters, Ann Fowler and Emily Bird (nee Fowler) and one of Emily's twins. The other twin is with Frances and John Willcock on Guernsey.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for more information on the Ogilvie family in Jersey
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I hope you're finding the heritage site useful. It does take some practise to negotiate but believe me it's far easier than their previous one. Did you see Berthe I F's death in 1920, widow of George Henry Le Geyt?