Author Topic: Mary Miller  (Read 2105 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Miller
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 January 16 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Robert Cornforth born East Hartlepool, bap 8 April 1846, St. Hilda's, Hartlepool.

I have 7 Cornforth/Miller Children. No Christina but I do have a big gap between 1846 and 1857

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HARTLEPOOL-Commissioners-Harbour-Durham-antique/dp/B00OQJHPPE

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 January 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can I ask where you found Robert's baptism record and whether it does confirm Mary's maiden name of Miller?

The children I have listed are: Robert, Mary  (possibly Mary Ann), born during December quarter of 1849, Dorothy, born around 1852, Christiana, born during the June quarter of 1853, John, born during the June quarter of 1855, George, born during the June quarter of 1859, and David, born during the December quarter of 1865.
All these children do appear with their parents on the census returns.

The 1881 census finds the family living in Wood Row, Twizell, Chester-Le-Street with another child in the household, Elizabeth Rose Cornforth. But she is a niece, born in Marton, Yorkshire. The birth place of her uncle, John Cornforth.

Any information you have would be most welcome!

Thanks

Sue

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 January 16 02:48 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find Jemima as a Cornforth on any census. I have a problem on various m 1861-1863. I will have to check all the dates again. I am hoping that  I am right. I am also having a contradicting date problem.

a. Jemima Cornforth registered Jun Qtr 1861 Durham which includes Quarrington. Free BMD.

b. Jemima Cornforth of Wingate born 6 May 1862, dau of John and Mary Cornforth, baptized Durham Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, 2 Feb 1863.

c. Jemima Cornforth bap. 18 October 1863, Holy Trinity, Wingate Grange, parents John (Horsekeeper) and Mary Cornforth.

d: My records born 6 May 1861, Quarrington, bap. 18 October 1863, Wingate

1939 Index. Jemima Ord living with son-in-law Thomas Thirlaway and  his wife Elizabeth (Ord) Thirlaway who is Jemima's daughter. Easington R.D..

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 January 16 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you have Jemima's birth certificate or marriage certificate? Obviously her birth certificate would prove once and for all whether her mother was Mary Miller.
I have now seen a transcription of John and Mary's son, Robert's birth certificate, which proves that his mother was Mary Miller.
Jemima's marriage certificate would at least show you where she was living, confirm 'our' John Cornforth as a father, and she may have even had one of her siblings as a witness.

This may be worth doing - as you say, she doesn't appear on any census with a John and Mary Cornforth, although her year of birth falls within range between the births of George and David.

Sue

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 January 16 13:24 GMT (UK) »
It worse than  Jemima cannot be found on a census with Cornforth/Miller. She cannot be found on ANY census with the name of Cornforth. Where are Cornforth/Miller on the census 1861 and later ones. That may help me. She married 1 April 1876, St. James Coundon to Matthew Ord. That means she only could be on the 1871 Census if at all.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 January 16 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Free BMD for June Qtr 1851 as stated before gives Jemima a birth registration of Durham (City) which includes Quarrington. I have George Miller Cornforth who is on my records as being born 1 June 1859 who is a child born to John Cornforth/Mary .......  (the child prior to the birth of Jemima). GMC birth place given as Quarrington Hill, Quarington. Baptism 9 October 1859, St. Mary the Virgin, Easington. There are two Public Member Trees on ancestry.com which give Cornforth/Miller as the parents of GMC.

1891 Census, Parish of West Pelton, County Durham

Twizell Dykes Cottage

John Cornforth 70 Marsham, Yorks
Mary Cornforth Wife, 60, West Auckland
John Cornforth Son, 38, Coxhoe.

I have John, Jnr.  baptized at Kelloe, County Durham,  9 August 1857. Son of John Cornforth and Mary ..........

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 January 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes, that's the right family.
I have, census wise:

The 1851 census finds the family living in East Murton, Durham, were John was employed as an agricultural labourer on ‘Murton Fields.’
Another daughter, Dorothy, was born in Easington around 1852, Christiana, born during the June quarter of 1853, John, born in Kelloe, during the June quarter of 1855, and George, born during the June quarter of 1859.
By 1861, the family had  relocated to Quarrington Wood Houses, Quarrington Hill, Quarrington, Durham, where John was now working as a ‘horsekeeper’, possibly at the colliery, alongside his eldest son, Robert, who was a coal miner.

A son, David, was born during the December quarter of 1865; his birth appeared to complete the family.
The 1871 census finds the family now residing in Wingate Colliery. John was now employed as a labourer, and with them on census night were their recently wed son, Robert, his wife, Isabella, and their son, John, who was a year old.
Sons, John and George, who was only 12 years of age, were both employed as coal miners. Daughters, Dorothy and Christiana are both missing from the household. Dorothy may have died, as she cannot be found on the census, however, Christiana was employed as a servant in the ‘Vicarage’ in Ellingham Village, employed by the local vicar, Charles Thorp.
Another ‘grandchild’, Elizabeth Rose Cornforth, was also staying on census night. She had been born in Marton, Yorkshire around 1870, so may have been transcribed incorrectly as none of John and Mary’s children appear to have returned to their father’s birthplace.
This theory is strengthened by the fact that she remained with John and Mary, but by 1881 she is listed as a ‘niece’, which was almost certainly correct.
By this time the couple had relocated once more to Wood Row, Twizell, near Edmondsley.
John, who was now 60 years of age, was employed as a coal miner, alongside sons, John, George and David.The 1891 census finds John and Mary residing in Dykes Cottage, Twizell; aged 70 years, John was still employed as a colliery labourer, alongside son, John.
Mary died during the March quarter of 1893; she was 65 years of age. This would put her year of birth as 1828.
John died during the December quarter of 1900; he was 77 years of age.

Hope this helps - no sign of Jemima though!

Sue

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 January 16 02:55 GMT (UK) »
I was running out of sources i.e. I had exhausted ancestry.com, find my past, myhertiage and familysearch.org. I finally googled Jemima Cornforth and found some of my old comments back from 2001 and later. One researcher finds no trace of Jemima on any census as a single woman. One comments on the name Ina which I vaguely recollect. This one comment below seems ominous. I will have to go to the source - i.e. Wingate baptisms to check it out.

Jemima's birth was registered in the June qtr of 1861, Durham C, (City), she was born in Coxhoe. She was baptised 1863, Wingate her parents being John and Margaret Cornforth .

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 January 16 02:47 GMT (UK) »
I checked everything again and I  found the children below:

John and Mary Cornforth. Parents of Robert Cornforth, a Husbandman, Bap. 28 Apr 1846. St. Hilda’s, Hartlepool. Wife’s maiden name Miller. Maiden name in a parish register very rare but many of them are on St. Hilda’s.
Residence Croft,. (Croft on Tees Yorkshire) ???

The following  three ALL children of  John Cornforth a Horsekeeper, wife Mary, Wood Houses, in the Parish of Kelloe.

Henry Cornforth bap 16 Apr 1857
Maria  bap 16 Apr 1857
John  bap 9 Aug 1857

The following child is baptized at St. Mary the Virgin, Easington.

George Miller Cornforth, born Quarrington Hill, Quarrrington. 1 Jun 1859, parents John and Mary, bap. 9 Oct 1859. John a Horsekeeper

Two following children both bap at Wingate. John and Mary. John a Horsekeeper.

Jemima Cornforth, born at Quarrington, 6 May 1861, bap 18 Oct 1863.
David Cornforth bap  31 Dec 1865.