Author Topic: Alfred Wells  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Wells
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 December 15 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Margaret died 28 Feb 1918 " At Chalmers Hospital on 28th ult Margaret Donaldson, beloved wife of William Duncan, painter 48 Polwarth Crescent, 57 , deeply mourned. Funeral private from 19 Fowler Terrace on Monday 3 pm to Inveresk Churchyard, Musselburgh".

Possible death of William Duncan April 1933 Blenheim, Marlborough, New Zealand.

1881 census suggests that William was a boarder in Renfrew and 1891 living in Cumberland Street Edinburgh with wife Maggie and children Alexander A 12 B Kilsyth, George, Maggie and William.
Given that William was unmarried in 1881 this does pose  questions about son Alexander.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline rainy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 December 15 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you William, you have brought that all together nicely.
So I followed wrong line.

Will copy and print what you found.
Will check Marlborough cemetery database out as well and see what it has re Wiilliam Duncan.

Just had to read your new message Rosie.

Thats very possible Margaret Duncan death.

That would also account for no one to look after boys after Grand dad Duncan dies.

Will leave for now. But will certainly be back tomorrow night.

Bless you all, just wonderful with your researching on this family.

Thanks
rainy
Dickson-Tyrone,Ireland.New Zealand.
Rea/Rae/Ray-
Roan/Roane/Rhone-Inveresk,Musselburgh,Scotland.Sligo Ireland
Reynolds/Rennells-Leitrim,Ireland
Callaghan- Co Cork,Ireland,South Australia, New Zealand
Soentgen/Sontgen-Germany. New Zealand.
Maddison-Durham & NSW & Victoria Australia. New Zealand.
Walker-Durham England
Ridley-Durham & Northumberland England, NSW Australia
O'Farrell-Scariff,Ireland
O'Sullivan-Co Kerry,Ireland
Fudge-Kent,South Australia
Colbert-South Australia
Mason - Durham England

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 December 15 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Rainy

A couple of articles in the Edinburgh Evening News

27th Oct 1915 " Intimation has been received by Mrs Orr 1 Gibson Terrace that her brothers Private William Wells 1ST Cameron Highlanders and Private George Wells 12th Royal Scots have ben killed in action.A third brother Private A Wells 1ST Royal Scots  is at present home wounded".
25th Oct 1915 " Private George Wells 12th Royal Scots, who has been killed in action, joined the Army at the commencement of war, prior to which he was in the employment of Messrs Mc Call and co of Abbeyhill. His sister Mrs Charles Orr resides at 1 Gibson Terrace, Edinburgh. It is a melancholy fact that his brother Private Wm Wells was killed five days previously. A third brother Private Alfred Wells 1st Royal Scots is at present home wounded".

I think that George had previously joined the militia in 1904. His service record is on FindMyPast and is worth locating.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Had some credits and looked at marriage of William Duncan and Margaret Donaldson - married 27/12/1883 Glasgow - he 22, House Painter (Journeyman), son of George Duncan, Artist and Catherine nee Turcan.  She also 22, dau. of James Donaldson, Baker and Margaret nee Dunsmore.

According to census George Duncan bc.1819 Forfar, Angus - although found his baptism on SP it would suggest his parents weren't married (and there doesn't seem to be any other baptisms with these 2 as parents).

George Duncan b.2/7/1818 bp.4/8/1818 Forfar, Angus - natural child of William Duncan and Janet Rattray (other entries referred to females as 'spouse').  In Scotland seems to be a bit of an anomaly that illegitimate children have their father's surname even though parents never married.  Clearly, the baptism would suggest that William Duncan acknowledged said child.

In census records George is always described as Painter, Portrait Painter or Artist. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rainy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 02:29 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you to you all.

William and Annette have found some more family history of this DUNCAN family.

You are going to make Kitty a very happy lady.

After just having a few names, to now a family building for her.

She had been told Alfred was gassed in the 1st WW. So that would account for his being at home.

Can one get WW1 personnel records from the UK?

We can in NZ download their WW1 army records at no cost.

Also mentions a sister Mrs Orr.

I am so pleased I asked for help for her.

I only have snail mail contact with Kitty, so waiting till i bring everything together to make a folder for her.

You are all amazing, thank you so much.
thanks.
rainy
Rea/Rae/Ray-
Walker-Durham England
Colbert-South Australia
Mason - Durham England

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rainy

Only some WW1 records survive as a lot were destroyed by bombing during WW2. The only records I can see for the Wells brothers are the death of George 28 Sep 1915 and of William 23 Oct 1914. I note that Williams death is given as 1914 not 1915 .

I did find a record for a William McKenzie Wells in the Leeds Police Records where dob is given as 5th March 1882 in Newington Edinburgh Trade porter. Says had previously served 8 years in Cam Highlanders and 6 months with North British Railway. Appointed 2nd class constable 28 Jan 1910. Promoted to first class 27 Jan 1911. Resigned April 6th 1911.

Re Mrs Orr there is a marriage in 1908 between Charles Peter Orr  and Jessie Wells in St George, Edinburgh .

I cannot quote the 1911 census but suggest that you search for William McKenzie Wells in the 1911 English census.

William

Offline rainy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)Thank you William, its very helpful all what you have found.

The newspaper article gives one more of William Wells working life.
I do try to have more than just names and dates if I can with my research.

I was not able to find the WELLS brothers war records on Find My Past.

Am I missing something when I am looking???

Or do I need to go to UK Archives for that info?

Will look for that marriage on freebmd.uk
On the census of 1891 and 1901 no Jessie.
But a Jannet and a Annie J.  So wonder if Jessie is one of those names?

will also look for 1911 census.

Thank you for your help.
Appreciated  it very much.
rainy
Rea/Rae/Ray-
Walker-Durham England
Colbert-South Australia
Mason - Durham England

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Re the WW1 records the only records I found were on ancy. in a collection called Casualties of the First World War. (It is an index). I don't think that it is on FindMyPast. George Wells earlier service record is in British Army Service Records 1760 - 1915 and is on FindMyPast and he is showing as born 1885 in St Cuthbert's Edinburgh.

Re Jessie it is a pet name for Janet (or Jane, Jean, Jessica). A  lovely site to look at is called Whats in a Name - it has lots about Scottish pet names and variations of first names ( I spent ages trying to find my grannie in the 1911 census and used a lot of credits until I realised that she was recorded as Maggie not Margaret!) The only place where you will find Jessie's marriage is Scotland's People.

Thinking about Scottish naming patterns I wondered if Annie McKenzies father was William McKenzie and came across a marriage 3 June 1881 in Gateshead of Annie McKenzie 24 to George Wells 30 (her father William, his George). The age of George is a bit out but that can often happen on marriage records! This may be coincidence but since I cannot see a marriage for them on Scotland's People it may be worth following up. ( There is also an Ann McKenzie in the 1861 census b 1857 Edinburgh with parents William and Jessie).

William

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 15:18 GMT (UK) »
www1 Medal Roll Cards William Wells Queens own Cameron Highlanders regiment number 5861 death 23/10/1914
A Wells applies for 1914 star on behalf of his brother Pte W Wells

U K Army Registers of Soldiers Effects
William Wells Cameron Highlanders Pte 5861 Killed in action
To whom authorised Sister Mrs Eliza Kennedy Sis Alexanderina
Sister in Law Mrs A Wells crossed out  Sis in Law Catherine T Wells
Bro Alfred
Rosie